Crossroads & Venues.... Part #6

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Crossroads & Venues.... Part #6

Postby LastHamlet » Wed Jun 29, 2:30 am

Friday April 22nd, 2005... Earth Day, Some Vapo-Bags, And Those Magic Hats !!!

A beautiful Friday morning, dam it is perfect weather outside, and you got to know my window was wide open. Suddenly I hear commotion in the hallway and the hoist is hauling up a lot of luggage, cause I hear that hoist motor running. Being the curious type, I just had to take a look for myself.
As I looked down the stairway, I could hear ladies talking, and rather loudly I might add. I heard the leader, or at least I think she was the leader???, say “The Girls from America are here.” As if she was giving a speech and formal announcement that there was a grand arrival of sorts. Not your average “Hey, I am so dam happy to be here”, but more of an air of importance. Not to be overly cynical, but in my head was rolling the phrase “Hoop-De-Friggin-Da.”
In ways, you just know some things instinctively, and it just wasn’t that impressive to me. Usually I am easily amused, but no, I shall return to my window for a couple more drags then head out for some time in the sun. Already I have checked my little book for the scheduled appointments today, and things look rather amusing and possibly most eventful. :-)
Making my customary rip of Old Style, and then proceeding to the Old Church for a meeting with Otis. I still get lost heading there, and have not taken the same path either of the times I have been. I still manage to arrive, and to the waving hand of Mr. Hoffman himself. With that morning smile of his, he is easy to spot from a block away. Of course, the window is big enough for three people to stand side-by-side in, so it is no big surprise to have such a long range view.
After making a looza purchase I climb up to join Otis for a smoke, and really, some of the most interesting conversation I have had in many years. I must say, Otis, in his soft spoken way, has much to share, if you pay attention. After all he lived here for a while, and knows this area and Utrecht rather well. Though he is modest and would likely deny he is as knowledgeable as I think, though I still feel he is.!!!
For one, he was showing me this really neat ID card he had. It folded in half, and one side displayed a week long tram ticket. This, for 10,30 Euros, will allow you to travel any time, as much as you want, within one zone. It was called, and I actually wrote the words off his card,,,
STAD & STREEK
STAMKAART
ABONNEMENT
All you needed was a passport photo, and 10,30 Euro and you were good to go. You get them in the place up the stairs, that is connected to the VVV. The place that is marked ‘TICKETS AND INFO’ on the wall of the building, so just follow the arrow. Wow!!! you got to know I am going to get one of those as soon as possible. Even though I do not have a week left, it will make for a cool souvenir. And, might I mention, as Otis told me, useable from year to year. :-)
He was incredibly informative on many issues, and I much appreciated these lengthy conversations we were having. After some time, we decided to head out for a different part of town. Made our way to Dam Square, just on the side of the Royal Palace, and grabbed a Tram #14, away from Central Station.
On our way to check out a new Coffeeshop. A place called Risky Business Coffeeshop, and maybe we should have known something from that title??? Nonetheless, we were off the Tram at Bos en Lommerweg (SP?), and just right down the street. Upon arrival, the place seemed clean, and even somewhat inviting. Right to the counter, and give a look over the menu, and still all seemed rather cool. I got us a couple of drinks, and Otis scored some of their House Specialty Hash, which was called ‘Risky Business’.
Then, as if we had been put into a Twilight Zone Episode, it was as if we had entered a different place altogether. I had heard some noise behind us while we were looking over the menu, but nothing drastic enough to make me look around. Nonetheless, as soon as we turned around, it was a different feel to the place entirely. First of all, there are only two tables in the place, and then there is this sofa and coffee-table setup, now right in front of us. Two other fellows were in the place, and one had elected to sit on top of one of the tables, the other was sitting at the other table and had his leg propped up on the chair across from him.
I instantly read this situation, and felt it rather strongly, not good. Otis didn’t see a thing wrong, and began to pull the coffee-table away from the sofa, to allow for seating, seeing how the two young fellows had elected to cock-block the other two table. I softly tried to tell Otis that we were not wanted here. “Ahh, please, you are reading too much into it” he said. Hummmm? I think not, but I will go with his cue in despite of my feelings. Truly, this was one of those moments that seemed really touch, as I look back on it. The Barkeep, and the two other fellows were of Middle Eastern descent, and had the ‘GET-OUT’ look on their faces.
Here was the real deciding factor to confirm my belief, as if I needed any more clues,,, a sign on the coffee-table. Yes, a sign, written in Dutch, that once I looked it over closely, said only personnel of the coffeeshop should be sitting here. My Dutch is not that good, but believe me this sign was a way of saying “GET-OUT”!!! Even with all the obvious clues, Otis casually got out his hash and packed a half a gram into his bowl. All the while I am figuring out what this sign says, and the young fellows are giving me the “Don’t you understand???” look. At that moment, I really felt a scene coming on, I kid you not it was a very intense moment, to be sitting on a sofa, with now three dudes looking at us, and wondering had we lost our minds???
I kept whispering to Otis of this, and all the while he never gave it a thought,,,, Dam, he is smooth. Suddenly, and I swear it was like this was the way this play had to turn out or something, but something interesting happened. Otis was being closely watched by one of the young fellows, and just when Otis lit the pipe, all the problems went away. Like ‘Magic’ I am talking here, as if somebody just pulled a rabbit out of their ass or something.
“I have never seen anybody smoke hash like that. In 15 years of smoking hash.” I heard one of the young fellows say. The two young patrons and the Budtender were all amazed at this. I really didn’t get it?????? Most everybody I ever knew has at least tried hash smoked straight. I have not been a dominant hash smoker of years, but even I have smoked many clumps of hashish straight out of the pipe. For that matter I have held pieces with tweezers and lit them up. Strange how something this insignificant could change a bad vibe, but somehow it did.
I held the sign up from the coffee-table and asked if it was okay to sit here, and so baffled was the Budtender, he just nodded in the customary “yes” fashion, and never took his eyes off Otis,,, except when he passed the flaming bowl of hash to me. Seeing us both smoke this hash straight, was really a sight indeed. So much so that we came from targets of aggression to welcomed guest in a matter of a few puffs.
The one young patron that had made the earlier statement, kept going on about how he was so shocked at this. (Thanks Otis, I was really unsure how we were going to get out of here.) All the while Mr. Otis Hoffman, saw the plan, to the end. It kind of made me feel stupid,,,, imagine questioning Otis’ knowledge of a coffeeshop??? Well, with the problem solved we finished the bowl, and shocked them even further by not staggering in the least while making our exit. With the lesson learned that it can be a good thing to trip people out at times.
The afternoon was slipping away and both Otis and myself had things to attend to, and made our way to the tram stop for a ride back to the center of town. I for one needed to check my email, and see if any news has made it’s way to my door.

Holy Crap!!! How could I forget what day this is??? The very day Mr. Banks arrives. I got a PM in my box, saying that he has landed and will meet me at my hotel at 3:00PM.. Double Crap!!! It is now 3:02PM, and I am way up here in Internet City. Quickly I log off, and the guy at the counter looks at me weird as I bolt out the door, minutes after I arrived. Nonetheless, I have an appointment, and I am not going to risk the trams to get me there. I know I can walk/run the distance from here to Hotel Prinsenhof in around 10 minutes, so all may be saved :-)

With a run when not in a crowd, and a fast(Euro) walk, when the crowd is thick, like on Kalverstraat, I make it there about 3:15... No Banks:-( tell me I have not missed my buddy on his first day... Too
Depressing, if such be the case. Just when I was standing at the front door of the hotel, which is elevated about 6 feet from the sidewalk, two fellows walk by, and I swear I hear one of them saying "Hey, that is where LastHamlet stays", while pointing to the "Hotel Prinsenhof" painted on the building. Just as their eyes panned down, I was pointing at them, and saying "Yes, this is where that crazy dude stays."
Giving a wave of acknowledgement and an exchanged smile, I had just met the infamous duo, father and son, known as MileHighDenver and Blackout. They were apparently headed out on some urgent business, and were looking as if an ATM trip was in their path.
As I panned down the canal, I didn't see anybody else. In specific I was looking over the boats, seeing how I remember they were renting a Houseboat for this vacation. So, I headed up the steps to check with the hotel staff of any visitors that had come by. Berna, the newest of the Prinsenhof staff, was doing the daily paperwork, and yet immediately heard me come in. Quickly, even before I asked, she said, "A
gentleman came by to see you, just minutes ago, and said he would be waiting outside." Oh crap, he must have left and headed back to his hotel or something???. Now, so far that is a ‘triple crap’!!! on my part that is.
With feelings of, Dam!!! How could I have missed him. I headed back downstairs and lit up a ciggy on the front stoop. Just when the first puff was exhaled, I saw just down the canal about 50 feet, a houseboat,
and a fellow who looked most familiar standing on the deck of it. Yep!!! it was Mr. Banks indeed.
Now, I had never met him in the person, but had seen a photo of him, and this was, without a doubt, the fellow in question. With glasses similar to mine, and height about the same, this had to be him. A wave
confirmed my suspicions, and I bolted down to shake his hand. Finally good to get to meet yet another grand fellow of the board.
There was actually a tour going on, and WOW!!! It was well worth the time to see it. The boat was way awesome, and really had a lot of nice features. A full kitchen, a built in stereo and TV and nice wood trim interior, highlighted this fine houseboat, or shall I say ‘Homeboat’. I really got to say, they got it going on in this place, as it would make one really nice romantic pad:-)
Birdman was opening a bag of most delectable goodies when I first walked in. A regular gold-mine of Channels memorabilia, his suitcases were packed to the brim with mugs, and shirts. As if that was not all, he said Lula had an entire other suitcase filled as well. (Somehow she got lost) Dam, this was quite a load to carry Birdman, and what the time you must have had carrying them all. He proved to be a most interesting person, and would prove to be a life-saver on a later day in the trip. Having a complete list of all the shirts for everyone, he instantly managed to fill several orders.
Dam nice shirts, more than ‘Dam Nice’ I would say. The coffee mugs,,,,, equally nice. You know this Birdman, is an intriguing fellow, with a definite eye for details. Even at this moment of unpacking and disarray he had complete composure, and order to the madness I call the ‘Unpacking Frenzy’. Many compliments go out to the Birdman, he is a top notch fellow indeed. (I am also very sorry for any stupid and idiotic things I posted on a heated thread a while back... My humble apologies, Birdman.)
So, here we were, all crowding Birdman, MHD, BO, and BB, and the lady was going to come back to check them in... It seemed the thing to do, to let them check-in in peace, as we wouldn’t want the host to think we were bombarding the boat with too many patrons. Seemed also a good time to go and stow my newly acquired goodies, and might I stress again, fabulous memorabilia, that will always be cherished.

I made my way up the steps to the main floor of the hotel and Berna saw the shirts. She was so impressed as she had the same tattoo on her lower leg, that was on the shirts. I had said I could try to get her one, but they may be a bit limited. I could see the look on her face, that only the joy of having one of these nicely made gems would do the trick. I had to go rather quickly, but said I would talk to the Birdman and see if there was any way of having another.
Dashing up to my room on the top floor, and putting the shirts, and one mug especially for Maid Marian, safely on the counter... All was good!!! I dashed back down to head out on the town with Banks. He was patiently waiting at the street, and needed to make a quick hotel run. Being an easy hop from here, I decided to walk along with him. Banks was staying at the Kap, and I had always heard much good news from anybody who stayed there, that I simply must check it out for myself.
Up the winding steps,(Little bigger than normal AMS steps), with carpet on the steps and winding partially up the walls. With brightly painted yellow walls we head up a few flights and to a nicely laid-out little room. With a good size window, and fire escape landing, he had a sweet view of the courtyard. Though the room was small, it was indeed a good room, and at the price he had mentioned, it was a good deal to boot. He scarffed up a few things and we made our way out into the world. In specific we were first headed by De Still to hopefully meet up with Dazzler.

Making our way to the place was easy enough, and the Barkeep was most friendly. A completely bald gentleman, with a most interesting personality. I had to try a recommended Irish Creme, and Banks got a cola or juice I believe??? I was more distracted when Banks was asking if, by any chance, he may know a fellow named Dazzler??? The Barkeep was most interested in who would bear such a handle. Most intrigued he was, and ran through a few thoughts in his mind as to who it might be???? Pondering so much that I could see his brain working through his scalp. Nonetheless, maybe we should have told him our names were LastHamlet and Banks, and maybe he would have figured that we were, and I mean this in high regard, all “Slightly Mad”...LOL.
Nonetheless, the fellow was not able to correctly ID the Dazzler in question, and we made our way to Kantjil en de Tijger Restaurant, for a very grand meal,,,,,, Or, as it would turn out, a very interesting adventure, and a grand meal. Interesting Adventure????? No way,,,, Oh Yes Way Indeed!!!
Entering a bit later than normal, my normal of like 6:00 PM, and keeping our fingers crossed. Upon asking at the door, of a very pretty Thai woman, we were told that it may be sketchy to squeeze us in, at such the hour. It was already like 7:10 PM, and the place was as full as I have ever seen it. We were politely told to sit in the waiting area... Then the adventure begins :-)
Banks, and admittedly I too, was concerned about the time, as we were hoping to get to Amnesia by 8:00 or so, anyhow. Banks casually asks for a time in which we might be seated, and I must have chimed in with some silly comment or something cause she glared me down, and I mean hard. A look that could have easily chopped my head off, had a sword been present. Nonetheless, She was saying rather soon, when Banks said we may have to just run. In a soft, but yet commanding kind of way(hard to explain), she said, "It will be just a minute or two, so wait just a minute.” Seeing a look of “Don’t Make it Happen” in her eyes, we acted like good little boys and sat tight. (Whew, Banks, I still say that lady wanted to do me in.)
Sure enough, without hardly a minute passed, a table was granted for our meal. Banks, being the one who knows restaurants best, and is actually where I got the info to visit here in the first place, makes quick talk with the waiter, getting in the order for Rijstafel, and having it shot to the table like a bullet. No joke, he had the ‘waiter’s lingo’ down, and knew his business.
Banks,,,,,,, A man of the world this traveler of several regions. A journeyman, here partially on business, and lucky to make the trip altogether. Many things being thrown in his path before arrival, and all said, it was dam good to finally met him. The fellow that has written one of the most sizzling and cliff hanging series (Sherri Series) on the board. I can’t say enough how he manages to maintain his cool, even under pressure. I sense he is a very good businessman, and handles things with precise order. The Ringmaster of sorts, for under his cape this evening is the trophy for the best joint roller, as the event may take place this evening at Amnesia Coffeeshop. (Funny Thing about adventures, I offered to hold the box.)
The meal was, as usual, fantastic and completely filling, with extra to spare. We paid the check, left a nice tip, and headed on to the OHD party on Herengracht. Wait did I mention we left out, without the trophy??? Ah, well yes, I left it at the table, and at least I noticed it only a half mile or so after leaving... Well, time for the journey. “My fault Banks, I feel like an idiot, but I left the trophy in the restaurant... Shit!!! I will run back, so hang tight.”
Yeah, being concerned about the trophy and how embarrassing that would be to lose it in such a manner, I dashed to the restaurant faster than I ever ran in my life. I actually arrived at the time the Manager was opening the box. I was huffing a little, but managed to say “ Sweet, it is still here, I am so sorry, I left that, Thank you much.” I was so happy that I had not botched the situation that I didn’t even mind the stare from the girl, once again to imply, she would kick my ass... Hummm, better take the trophy box and run. :-)

Banks was happy to see me running up with trophy, and just minutes later it seemed. I remember him saying “I knew it would still be there, just had a feeling.” He also stated “Dam, you made quick time, way to go...” I told him, I smacked the girl at Kantjil and grabbed the box and ran. He laughed, and knew I was kiddin’ and reminded me that she did want to mess me up... We got a hoot out of the whole thing, and proceeded to the gathering for the Vapo Bag Party!!!

DAM!!! Another Overtaking...

Dam, the place was already getting loaded, and I would be willing to bet this was the largest crowd of people ever squashed into Amnesia Coffeeshop. This should put to the test if ‘that something’ exclusively Amnesia’s, is effective during a time of mass crowding.??? ‘That something’ that makes you forget something, or in some cases forget a lot of little something’s.
With more people in one room that I am accustomed to, still I found it most friendly. More faces to put with memories of things written in the past. Porkchop was there, and a rather lively gentleman I might add. It was finally good to meet him, and I got to say he is top-notch fellow, with a persona full of life. In my youngest of days, I could have never kept up with Porkchop
Of course, all the ones that had been showing up all week were there as well. OHD, BB, Wolf, BO, SDShadow & Friends were there as well as Delta9... Hey, there was FlyByNite, Birdman, Lula, MHD, BlackOut, and dam the list goes on and on. Viking, The Guest, PurpleHaze, Trekkn, and still more faces than I can remember.
Ahhh, over in the corner was Fleet, I recognized her from a video I had seen once. Fleet is accompanied by her son, who seems a well mannered and dashing fellow. Seemingly they had the same look as I=== “Wondering how to comprehend this many people in one place,,,, of this size anyhow. No kiddin, Sissy, the owner, sure had to feel like a plane just landed on the Herengracht, and this was the airport terminal, cause this place was loaded with Channelites. Not to mention I seem to recall they did have other customers as well, that also seemed happy to be amongst the party zone... For whatever reasons, this was a big happy meld, and even given the room we had, all worked out well.

‘Party In A Bag’
Think things just tapered from there??? Na, ChiChi arrived.!!! What a lively girl she is, and a lot younger in spirit that I am. Dam, I am not being tooo forward, but,,, Wow!!! she is a good looking woman. Of course it may be the magical hats??? I am still pondering which, but it could be both??? :-)
She has this big bag, and from it comes, well, many, many things. She had table snacks for people, as for avoiding ‘whiteys’, and little doilies to put the snack bowls on... Yeah, snack bowls, not just the snacks in a bag. Then she pulled out a couple of hats, one entirely orange feathers, and the other a classic 1920’s hat(red/orange in color), with a single black feather in it. Actually during the evening she wore both hats herself, in alternating fashion, trading with whoever had the other one at the time. (More on the ‘hats’ later.)
Pulling out orange shirts, short pants and all kinds of orange apparel for the Queensday celebration, that was up and coming next week. This was some bag she had, and it was loaded to the brim with artifacts. ChiChi herself was dressed in entirely orange attire... Shirt, socks, everything,,,, I guess everything??? With so much going on, I even found myself with the orange feather hat on. Hey, I can use any magic I can get, to make my get-up seem spruced up. :-)
Now, the 1920’s hat made a rip through the crowd, and it found the Cinderella of heads to be on. Again, I am still pondering if these hats were a bit on the mystical side??? Lula, with all due respect, that hat is you. That 20’s look, with that dark hair, and red lips, I almost crapped in my pants. Sometimes things are such, that you may find yourself on the drooling side, and for that I am truly sorry, but Dam!!! Lula, you in that hat, is like Cinderella getting the glass slipper... Highest of compliments, the hat fit perfect with your charm.
I was somehow at the door in the small corner, and still managing to have a grand time. Spending a good 20 minutes talking to ChiChi, and highly complimenting her 'party in a bag' persona, and of course her magical hats. She is a very interesting person, with a bold persona, and tells it like it is. “My friend Bollocks warned me of you” she said in a half questioning persona. To which I replied “If Bollocks is your friend, then listen to him,,, However, you have nothing to worry from me.” I hope she believed that, for I was just here on the scene as a note taker. Although, as I mentioned she is very lovely:-) I think I had to say that,,,,,, it just had to be THAT reply,,,, partially to make MYSELF believe I didn’t, somewhere in the dim recesses of my mind, want to jump her bones.
Nonetheless, the evening did bring a wearing down of the party, and just when I looked up it was just ChiChi and I talking, and everybody else had left. Wait, not everybody??? Oh good! Fleet and her son were still there, across the room, near the drink end of the bar. Whew!!! That was close, as you know people could start rumors about less than this. And, with a last minute arrival was Boneymaroni, and saying something about oversleeping as he made a Foster Brooks kind of entrance, I was happy to have another Channelite present. I must say he did look a bit tired, but seemed to gather up steam as the night went on.
Off we were to head to The Get Down Coffeeshop, where Viking and The Guest and several others are meeting up. We scarfed up a tram, as the night was bringing a slight drizzle. Then we had to get another tram to the Leidseplein area and head down the steps of the Get Down. Who would be in view but The Guest, and man he had a grand buzz. Not out of order in the least, but might I say barely visible eyes. Viking was on the computer making a post, and PurpleHaze was wrapping up a joint of hash and tobacco. I believe Viking was posting something about PH’s favorite so far was the Himalayan Hash(SP?), and the rest was drowned out by the stereo.
This place was rather cool, and for some reason reminded me of a cave. (No insult intended here, I kinda like caves.) The Birdman shows up, with the lovely Lula, and she still had on that magical hat. Might I say the magic is still in full glow. So much the glow, I had to walk away, I felt a bit underdressed. Had I had a rendition of a ‘Zoot Suit’, I may have been able to pull this one off. Na, always keep the lowly squire thing in perspective.
With the music a bit louder than an understandable level, ChiChi and Boney had decided to head up to Dolphins to check it out. So, and I am not sure how, Fleet and her son thought ChiChi was in the bathroom, and stayed behind. I was maybe 7 paces back from ChiChi and Boney, when suddenly, and it may have just been me, but I felt like a third wheel. ChiChi looked back once, and I asked had she seen Fleet, to which I didn’t even hear her reply..... Hummmmmmm??? I think Fleet and her son are still back at Get Down????
So, now I am 25 paces back from them, and just a block from Dolphins, and yep,,,,,,,,, I make a hard right, circle the block and head back to Get Down... Maybe it was just me, but I felt like my disappearance was desperately needed at this point, and I was all too happy to make the right turn. Not to imply they were romantically inclined, but good friends that had good conversation to share. Me??? I was the third wheel indeed, with very little to share in common. Well, other than the way-back and very faint thoughts of wanting to ravage her, there were no worries. :-)
Nonetheless, as I told her earlier, she had nothing to worry from me. This trip has spawned a different person in me, than even I expected. One that has not the desire to taste the fruit, but just to know the fruit exists. Becoming more like I used to be as a kid,,,,,,, to see things from afar,,,,, and realize their true beauty is that which they cannot share.

Well, as I suspected Fleet and Son were standing right in front of Get Down, and looking as vexed as I was. With a few paragraphs I somewhat filled them in, and I remember Fleet saying “Let’s just head to the Dolphins and see what’s up?” Wow, at this point I am not sure I should go along or not, but as it turned out, I am so glad I did. As it turned out, a strange look was yet to come...???
Walking the same path I had just minutes earlier walked, we see OHD and FlyByNite, standing on the street and pointing to some interesting objects and buildings. We actually walked right up on them, and were literally in their faces, and they did not even see us. Hey!!! Hey!!!, or should we say Hay!!!, what is up??? Shit, they realized it was us, and instantly OHD looked directly at me, then instantly looked at Fleet and asked “Where is ChiChi???” Whew!!! That was close, cause as I said, sometimes rumors can get started, and that would be a terrible thing. Leuchtentrager, I knew what you were thinking, and you so thought you may have had me, but alas I slipped the grasp, and spared a fair lady, her honor.
Funny, it was one of those ‘Don’t think I don’t know what you think I don’t know that you were thinking’ kind of things. I still ponder the thoughts from that one second glance, and it was good to not be caught with one’s hand in the cookie jar, so to speak. Ahhh, but this is all speculation, and just the imaginations of some offset kind of character, me, and I could be wrong.
With some chat we headed on, and caught ChiChi and Boney headed towards us,,, and rather ticked that Dolphins didn’t sell alcohol anymore. Darn, I knew that, and maybe I did have something to share in the earlier conversation. If nothing but to save them the steps of heading away from a drink. Sometimes that’s how life is though, and some steps we take on our own.
Speaking of steps alone, ChiChi ditched us again, and disappeared into an Irish Pub on Leidseplein. I will always cherish being in this play, and the role of the note taker, that I got to be. However, it still leaves us three standing, but not for long,,,, Rookies is right up the street, and we are on it like a beard, so speak.
Dam, what do you know, Otis is there. I started the day seeing Otis, and now how befitting to cap it off with a smoke at Rookies to finish off a maximum day. When you can start a day with Mr. Hoffman, and catch him at the end of the play for his comments, you know you have had a really good day:-) A regular ‘Director’s Cut’, if you will.
We smoked a couple of big doobies, and had to meander on our separate ways. Mine, a walk back to the hotel, and with thoughts of all the events that have occurred. Overwhelmed would be a drastic understatement. :-) Not once did I find the occasion to mention that this was the anniversary date of my 44th trip around the sun, as well as the marking of ‘Earth Day’. With already enough reasons to be happy and celebrate, one more thing may have cracked the cookies jar.
So, with a silent “Thank You” to the good Earth, a bowl of ghanja was enjoyed by the window, as I was sitting around in my robe... :-)

Till Day 7,,,,, The 10 Year Party,
Many Best Regards,
LastHamlet
Last edited by LastHamlet on Wed Jun 29, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Wed Jun 29, 2:15 pm

As always, another excellent report from the Master!

The meal at Kantjil was great fun... I think she actually wanted to "Thai" you up! And as for the mad dash back, I don't think your feet touched ground! I do have you on video coming back with the trophy held "high"!

Boner
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Boner » Wed Jun 29, 2:24 pm

Another top quality report - thanks LH

...Boner...

seouleast
super power poster
super power poster

Postby seouleast » Wed Jun 29, 3:27 pm

How in the hell did I miss that Vapo party? Damn.....

Excellent LH.... Keep it up. Much better than a novel, anyday!

Peace-
seouleast

Dave J
power poster
power poster

Postby Dave J » Wed Jun 29, 4:39 pm

An amazing read, ta for sharing.

Dave J

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Wed Jun 29, 4:41 pm

Another "keeper" LH! I regret that we didn't get to spend a bit more time conversing. One thing though...why do you refer to Otis as "Mr. Hoffman"?

PaXXX

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Wed Jun 29, 5:32 pm

Thanks man for all the kind words, it was great hanging with you and I hope we can do it again soon. Thanks for helping.

And let me say I am sorry to anyone who I may not have been able to fulfill their order due to the fact that it was a bit crazy handing out all that shite.

Also, a big hand to Delta9 for the design of the shirt. Truly wonderful.

And LH, what ever you may have posted in some earlier post I had already forgotten if I ever noticed it at all.

Thanks for the memories!

boneymaroni
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby boneymaroni » Wed Jun 29, 6:51 pm

uhhhhh, yeh.....
Good one.

Yow?

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Goodness Gracious.

Postby LastHamlet » Wed Jun 29, 9:00 pm

I forgot you were taking video Banks, I bet I did look funny running back with that trophy...:-) LOL. However, I still say she wanted to "Thai' me up, but just for the purpose of beating me... You know, maybe I could have used that...:-)
Still hate I didn't get more time to talk with you Boner,, my loss indeed.
Seoul, I was wondering how you missed this one, and I had almost remembered you in, just for inclusion purposes, but didn't have a clear memory of seeing you there. On a side note: You must have been toking one of those killer joints, somewhere, and got caught up in the moment... You were missed Seoul, and it was not until the next day that I discovered how much you were indeed missed...
Many Thanks Dave J, I hope all is well with you.
BO, I hate it more than you that we were so rushed in the many events that were taking place, that we didn't get much time to talk and hang out more. I have to take all the blame though, cause I got on the bandwagon late, and was not even sure I could go this year. Many of you legends had already acquired a place, hooked up many events, so I was thankful to be able to get to meet all of you. Thankful that I was allowed to attend some of these wonderful events. On the Otis Hoffman thing??? In an earlier report of this series, I had first met Otis, and after spending some time and conversations with him, I just couldn't help thinking how he had such the Dustin Hoffman like persona. A soft spoken and very polite fellow, with much insight. Even the way he will word things, brings me to the Dustin Hoffman persona. So much so, I think maybe Dustin copied Otis...
Boney, you got style man, and I hope all is still going well with you. And, Thanks for showing up, you were an excellent addition to the party.

Many Best Regards,
LH

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby LastHamlet » Wed Jun 29, 9:04 pm

Birdman wrote:Thanks man for all the kind words, it was great hanging with you and I hope we can do it again soon. Thanks for helping.

And let me say I am sorry to anyone who I may not have been able to fulfill their order due to the fact that it was a bit crazy handing out all that shite.

Also, a big hand to Delta9 for the design of the shirt. Truly wonderful.

And LH, what ever you may have posted in some earlier post I had already forgotten if I ever noticed it at all.

Thanks for the memories!

I owe you Many Thanks, Birdman. MM sends a big Thank You as well (Along with a hug and kiss), for the wonderful shirt, and awesome coffee mug. She almost cried when she saw them, and knew that we were thinking of her.

Many Many Thanks Birdman,
LastHamlet

Old Hippie Dave
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Old Hippie Dave » Wed Jun 29, 10:08 pm

SE you Dum Ass ...you were there and your wife too

nice one LH

seouleast
super power poster
super power poster

Postby seouleast » Thu Jun 30, 1:13 am

Was I....? Oh shit! That is right.... someone sent me pix of us being there. Damn! I am on the verge of following OHD into SODA heaven. hehehehe.... See, even LH forgot I was there. ;-)

Peace-
seouleast

Boner
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Boner » Thu Jun 30, 1:17 am

seouleast wrote:Was I....? Oh shit! That is right.... someone sent me pix of us being there. Damn! I am on the verge of following OHD into SODA heaven. hehehehe.... See, even LH forgot I was there. ;-)

Peace-
seouleast

By the sounds of what you were putting in them joints of yours I'm surprised you remembered who you were!!!

...Boner...

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

AMNESIA

Postby LastHamlet » Thu Jun 30, 1:36 pm

seouleast wrote:Was I....? Oh shit! That is right.... someone sent me pix of us being there. Damn! I am on the verge of following OHD into SODA heaven. hehehehe.... See, even LH forgot I was there. ;-)

Peace-
seouleast

I thought I had saw you there, but seriously there were so many people, and there were several joints and bowls going around, it was like a big dream. Seeing how you forgot you were there and I forgot you were too, I must admit, I am not really sure any of us were there??? Was it more like one of those dreams you're not sure if it was real, or if it was something you wanted to happen.
I shot out the best recollections I had, many apologies Seoul, even I get hazed a bit, at times... And with that, the Amnesia thing,,,,,, that unique 'Coffeeshop Magic' of making you forget things, has proven true, even in a large crowd. Somehow, I just felt it would be so.
I can never remember everything that goes on there,,, and it does earn it's name 'Amnesia Coffeeshop'.
Also, like Boner was saying,,,,, there is them joints of yours Seoul. :-)
Of course, there is the fact that OHD remembered,,, Hummmm, home court advantage??? Dam OHD, the way you do videos and seemingly unaffected by the 'Amnesia Syndrome', I should have had you write this one,,, it would have been a lot better than what I had.
Thanks for the memories I had lost.
Many Best Regards,
LH

dannymac
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby dannymac » Thu Jun 30, 6:25 pm

Actually OHD has the advantage of refering back to the videotape. LOL

The Amnesia gathering was the one pre-party event I managed to stay at for more than a few minutes, and I had a great time as well.

Even if you didn't mention my name as being in attendance, you do a damn better job than I in remembering these things - and you, without the benefit of videotape.

Oh yeah, another great report (as always).

Otis
super power poster
super power poster
Location: Recovering from years of racing sailboats on SF Bay

Postby Otis » Thu Jun 30, 6:39 pm

Really nice report LH, I enjoyed recalling the adventure in the coffeeshop. I was just at that place a month before, and apparently it had new owners. I've been there several times and never had an ordeal like that happen. Funny thing is that I just did my normal routine there and didn't quite know how to back out gracefully, so just kept going forward with the routine. It was odd...it did feel strange but I could't find an "out" that felt right.

After we secured our puchases, I remember one of the guys sitting ON TOP of a big table, legs spread out, in a menacing gesture that said "This table is mine". Then the other guy lookin' at me funny while he conquered the other table...I really was perplexed but wasn't going to let it stop my motion to smoke. It is so funny we ended up sitting at the table which we really weren't supposed to sit at. And it was so odd how their perspective changed when we began smoking. I think overall we earned their respect and made some friends...and the challenge, and Karma, was with us that day. Loved smoking that hash there. I was rather proud of the professional job we portrayed to them as "pro smokers" or somesuch. Maybe we can do it again sometime?

I do remember Seouleast at the Vapo party.

What a wild ride that day. Thanks for all the kind words also.

Otis

smokedawgg
participating
participating

Re: Crossroads & Venues.... Part #6

Postby smokedawgg » Thu Jun 30, 7:02 pm

LastHamlet wrote:Dam, what do you know, Otis is there. I started the day seeing Otis, and now how befitting to cap it off with a smoke at Rookies to finish off a maximum day. When you can start a day with Mr. Hoffman, and catch him at the end of the play for his comments, you know you have had a really good day:-) A regular ‘Director’s Cut’, if you will.

LastHamlet i generally enjoy your trip reports, but your constant referral to Otis as Dustin Hoffman is a bit, uh.. creepy.

and what's up with this stalking of ChiChi? are you a freak or what?

newayz, later

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Oh Goodness!!!

Postby LastHamlet » Thu Jun 30, 7:42 pm

Yes, I remembered you there D'Mac, actually were standing next to one another for a while. Sorry, I forgot to mention it, and it is always good to have somebody else fill in some of the blanks,,, You da man D'Mac.
Those were the days Otis, many good times, and many good conversations... Traveling through the streets again one day, I hope.
Dam, Smokedawgg, a bit on the rugged side this morning, eh?? I guess, to answer your question, we are all a little cracked, so I plee guilty. I never thought myself a stalker, but maybe I should re-think my viewpoints? I am just human, and do have some thoughts and feelings like anybody else. Sorry if my descriptions lead to the thoughts that I may be a stalker or some other strange being. If no male here has ever thought some girl to be very lovely, and never epressed it, than maybe, just maybe, I am that perv... But, somehow Smokedawgg, I get the feeling, no matter what gender you are, that some things even catch your eye as well. I could be wrong, and for that matter you could be blind, but then you would not have even read this report if such were the case... In any case I am sorry for making you feel creeped out, for I didn't mean any harm in what I wrote, as I just wrote what I felt at the time.
As for Otis, I am sure he may be a little offended, as well as OHD may be when I call him by yet another character, so I could re-think the thing and maybe edit it?? I have mentioned before that if anybody feels offended by what I wrote, I will edit it.
However, find Trekkn's photo album online, click through the pictures till you see the one of Otis and myself sitting on the sofa at Abraxas, and tell me you don't see some sort of resemblence to Mr. Hoffman. Furthermore, it goes deeper than looking like, it is also in his spoken words, actions and even insight. In casting him as that character, I mean the utmost respect, cause Hoffman is one of my favorites.
Sorry, meant no offence Smokedawgg,
Many Best Regards,
LH

a bollocks
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: Not A'dam dam'it..... a traveler, a heart, no woot for you.

Postby a bollocks » Thu Jun 30, 7:56 pm

LH.... she aint lyin.

i warned her about you LMMFAO!

your reputation preceeds you!

all is good that ends good.

all is well..... that is, well, good.

good report. Ben Bradlee needs his red pencil in there tho.. HA!

WOOT!

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

You Are Right Bollocks.

Postby LastHamlet » Thu Jun 30, 9:01 pm

I have to take that as a compliment in the highest of regards, Bollocks.
Actually, I smiled when she said that, and felt honored you had warned her. Although, she was still in no danger, it is good that you had the good intentions to warn a friend. Bollocks, you are, what is considered, a good friend.
Many High Regards,
LH

Otis
super power poster
super power poster
Location: Recovering from years of racing sailboats on SF Bay

Postby Otis » Thu Jun 30, 9:48 pm

Hey, I don't mind being compared to Dustin Hoffman. I take it as a sincere compliment...thanks LH.

Otis

LaTristesseDurera
super power poster
super power poster

Postby LaTristesseDurera » Thu Jun 30, 11:41 pm

Otis wrote:Hey, I don't mind being compared to Dustin Hoffman. I take it as a sincere compliment...thanks LH.

Otis

I wouldn't take it as an insult. But Dustin Hoffman? I don't see it at all. If I had to pick a celebrity that Otis reminds me of, it would be probably Fred Flintstone...that's not an insult either...he kept Wilma satisfied...

Hammer
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Hammer » Fri Jul 01, 12:50 am

LaTristesseDurera wrote:
Otis wrote:Hey, I don't mind being compared to Dustin Hoffman. I take it as a sincere compliment...thanks LH.

Otis

I wouldn't take it as an insult. But Dustin Hoffman? I don't see it at all. If I had to pick a celebrity that Otis reminds me of, it would be probably Fred Flintstone...that's not an insult either...he kept Wilma satisfied...

LTD, has anyone told you your avatar looks a bit like Andre Agassi?( If that is you)

LaTristesseDurera
super power poster
super power poster

Postby LaTristesseDurera » Fri Jul 01, 1:58 am

Hammer wrote:
LaTristesseDurera wrote:

Otis

LTD, has anyone told you your avatar looks a bit like Andre Agassi?( If that is you)

It's not me...

DedBud
super power poster
super power poster

Postby DedBud » Fri Jul 01, 3:29 am

I thought it was Ron Howard's brother.

Fleet
power poster
power poster

Postby Fleet » Fri Jul 01, 4:06 am

Thank God someone has finally told me what happened.
Great Post LH....
just like I remembered................
not.
Still smokin the bulkage with the best/worst of em!
Fleet

LaTristesseDurera
super power poster
super power poster

Postby LaTristesseDurera » Fri Jul 01, 5:18 am

DedBud wrote:I thought it was Ron Howard's brother.

If Clint Howard looked that young, it would be a miracle...

It's Karl K-Man Pilkington

dannymac
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Oh Goodness!!!

Postby dannymac » Fri Jul 01, 7:26 am

LastHamlet wrote:Yes, I remembered you there D'Mac, actually were standing next to one another for a while. Sorry, I forgot to mention it...Many Best Regards,
LH
I wasn't fishin' for an apology, LH. Just complimenting you on your memory (although I do know you keep notes), sans videotape.

I can hardly wait for your perspective on the party - and there's no need to name everybody in attendance (LOL).

seouleast
super power poster
super power poster

Postby seouleast » Fri Jul 01, 10:04 am

Wow.... was I even there in Amsterdam? Or is it wishful thinking brought on by my wanting to be there?
Damn........ Amnesia. I've got it.

Peace-
seouleast

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

That's It!!!

Postby LastHamlet » Fri Jul 01, 1:32 pm

seouleast wrote:Wow.... was I even there in Amsterdam? Or is it wishful thinking brought on by my wanting to be there?
Damn........ Amnesia. I've got it.

Peace-
seouleast

You got it Seouleast, that's the very thing I was saying,,,, The 'Amnesia Effect'. :-)
D'Mac I can only hope to capture a fraction of that party's essence,,, actually, any of the party's for that matter. Sometimes I had the notes, sometimes I had the fog to contend with... Ahhh, I miss the fog.. Of course, some of the time it was the fog from the Seouleast joint. That fog, as we know, is a rain-cloud indeed.
Many Best Regards,
LH

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”