LH, Trip Report/ Days 4 thru 6.

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

LH, Trip Report/ Days 4 thru 6.

Postby LastHamlet » Wed Apr 30, 2:26 am

DAY #4:
We have not used an umbrella one single time since we have been here. The weather is getting better and better everyday. We slept beyond breakfast this morning, so after a few bowls of the ghanja in the room we headed up the street and around the corner to the Heineken Brewery. We made a left there and headed to that little Carousel Restaurant for a so-so breakfast. Well for 13 Euro, what can two people expect? It was okay though; I just like joking around. Well, our bellies were full and it was time to tram it to Central Station to catch the StopTrain to Naarden. Yes, the very well kept medieval village called Naarden Vesting. We purchased the two tickets to Naarden-Bussem for Euro 6.40 roundtrip/each. It was about a 30-minute ride to the stop. When you get out and look around it looks a lot like the Train Station at Haarlem.
You go out of the station by going underground. When you come out you go over to the little bus station and catch Bus #136; the one headed to Amsterdam. You will get off at the Naarden-Vesting stop. The bus ticket cost us Euro 4.80 roundtrip/each. It is about a 15-minute bus ride to the destination. As you approach Naarden-Vesting you see what appears to be a castle wall. It all starts to unfold after that. As we walked through the village, it felt a lot like Volendam or Marken. By that, I mean it was spotlessly clean and had a lot of the green color schemes to the houses, like Marken. On the outer edges of the town, or the entrance if you will, lies a great wall. The wall was built right into several structures along the way, which really give the medieval impression. Stuff like guard towers and quarters, servants quarters, and the likes. There were structures that reminded you of the ancient times. It was a quite and somber village, that one can easily see the entirety of in about three hours. I would defiantly say this was well worth the trip and time to see. I know all you need is the chain male, suit of armor and a sword to have the complete experience. Of course, a horse would help a great deal as well. After treading through the nice little village, we were getting hungry. After walking through the streets trying to select a restaurant that was not to formal for us, we happened upon one that looked like us. Eet Cafe ‘t Hert, which was located on Cattenhagestraat 12. It was a good size restaurant, which even had a big back terrace. We elected to eat on the terrace, since it was such a beautiful day. We asked the kind lady if they had Broodjes. She replied by saying “Yes, and some very good ones I might add.” Now I know every restaurant has their version of a Broodje, and no two versions are the same, so we were hoping for the best. Upon delivering the food to the table, I have to say she was correct, very good indeed. Mine was a split open Kaiser roll, with cheese and ham all over the top. It is much easier to eat it with a fork than to fold it over and do the ‘sandwich do’, so to speak. Two Coffees, two cokes, and the Broodjes totaled to 12.80. We were compelled to leave a five Euro tip for the nice waitress. We somehow got into a conversation with her about the shrinking value of the Euro. It seems, as the Dutch people are not that happy with the price increases that come about with the new currency. I have noticed the rise too, and would have to agree as well, I miss the Netherlands Guilder. It was time to head back to the bus stop to catch a bus back to the station. It was no more than five minutes before it showed and off we were to the station. Arriving back at the bus station, crossing the alleyway to the Train station to go back to our home city (AMS.) Now as soon as the doors opened at AMS-CS, I was in need of a smoke. However, I forgot to mention that I found a secluded place in Naarden-Vesting to grab a smoke. I still needed replenishing.
Since the closest place we like is ‘Old Style’, that is what it will be. I had read several times on their menu already, that they had a ‘cup entry’ called Heavens Delight. I never knew they were in the cup. I ordered two grams of that lemon smelling ghanja, and proceeded to roll it up. The fellow was watching me stick two papers together and told me I didn’t need to use two papers. I replied by saying, yes you do if you gonna use the whole 2 grams. After rolling this hooter up to perfection, I showed it to him. He scratched his head while saying, “You are right, I didn’t know you were rolling a Nuclear Joint.” I had to mention that I do this every time I am here, you have just never noticed before. He is a good fellow, but he could not help but to look at me like a crazy American. I would be inclined to agree with him.
It took about 25 minutes to consume that Nuclear Doobie. It had a sweet, lemon-citrus taste, and a good kick to it.
The oddest thing happened while we were sitting there, all the trams in the whole city stopped. After inquiring about the situation, we discovered that they were down due to an electrical problem. I don’t think I have ever seen every single tram out of service at once until now. We took out on a walking episode, seeing how the DagKaarts were useless. We walked to the Dam and yes more trams, stopped in their tracks. An idea spawned in our heads to got check out the Rembrandt House Museum. So, through the Dam, in an odd angle coarse to get through De Waag and Waterlooplein. We came upon the Museum. I had not seen this one since 1995. The entryway seems a little different, but I could be just to smoked up for good recollection. Nonetheless, it seemed the same on the inside. It was missing one of my most favorite paintings, the painting of Jesus from the shoulders up. It always looked so real, I felt as though it could come off the wall. If it was there, I sure didn’t see it this trip. The rest of the artworks were there as far as I could tell. It is truly amazing to walk through the tiny rounded stairways and creaking floors as the famous Rembrandt once did. You know I bet it was hard to sneak upstairs and take a hit of ghanja in his day. You would wake up the whole house just walking up there. I wonder if Rembrandt smoked the ghanja?
We rambled through the entire museum and headed out to Albert Cuypstraat Market, again...
My wife wanted to get a few things at the market before they shut up for the day. We did manage to walk our way over before the shops closed. Trams everywhere, were still stopped dead in their tracks. Must be whale of a problem with the electricity. Well we shopped for my wife some new jeans and tops. She says the clothes there just fit better. We found several items to her liking and I actually found three nice pair of jeans that fit well, myself. I got the three pair for Euro 50, which was a bargain.
Although, it seems like we didn’t cover a world of ground, this has been a long day. We started walking toward the hotel, to drop off our packages. After that I remembered we needed to get a friend one of those grinders, so we took the first #1 to NWZ. Kolk, to get him one from the Hemp Works, around the corner a bit from the stop. I know you can buy these anywhere, I wanted one with their store logo to give my friend. In our tread home we saw the El Guapo, I think we will stop in I said... Yeah, right we turned down that street(NieuweNieuwstraat), cause I had read a report about it from Buck-O-Five.
LastOphelia got us some smoke and I got cola and a coffee for her. We packed two bowls in the carry pipe and smoked them up good fashion. It was something called Power Plant. I drank the cola quicker than I smoked the bowls and had to get another. Leaving the kind people of El Guapo, who had a nice shop by the way. I didn’t see a single tourist in there, except for us. Two people were playing a board game and smoking a Dutch Cone joint. Several others talking in Dutch and being happy. Well off we went to stop at the SRS Internet place to post a quick response to a thread, check and send our e-mails. We were a block from the hotel and decided this would be a good evening for our second shroom journey.
This day we managed to consume 8 grams of A’Dam’s finest ghanja, and a few grams of shrooms. The weather is steadily getting better. It is an Amsterdam miracle to have weather like this. Today’s high was 70 degrees and the nightly low was 60. I remember someone today saying that it was raining in Spain. They must be getting the AMS rain that we are not. I happened to look out the window late in the night and seeing a tram being towed. It was a number #1 of course.

DAY #5
Needless to say, we missed the breakfast again, and we didn’t even care. We had made a midnight munchie run, right across the street from the hotel. I have to give you the long name of this place. Bonsoir Avonverkoop Night Shop, is that a fancy handle or what??? It has a crescent moon on the Name boarder as well. We scarffed down a few of the treats, and that seemed good enough. On this morning, my wife wanted to wander through the Rijks Museum and I wanted to check out the Noon Coffeeshop. I walked her over to the Noon to show her where it was at, and then we headed up to the Rijks. We parted with a hug and kiss and I headed off to the Noon. Upon entering the Noon, there were only three others in the shop. It seemed very mellow and friendly. After getting the 5-gram special on the Maui Waui, 1 gram of Blueberry, and two coca-colas, I commenced to roll up the Blueberry. The bud that is, I had our ‘Blueberry’ with me in spirit. As I smoked it, I knew why she liked this bud so much. It has a sweet flavor and smokes really well. I would go so far as to say that I find this weed excellent. For the first morning smoke of this day, it proved to be a primo choice. I drank the colas up and found myself in need of a restroom visit. Man what a trip, has anybody ever checked out the bathroom here. I walk in, smell ghanja, see a clear plexiglass on the wall to the right, and what do you know, a crop of the blueberry growing. A small grow shelf if you will, right in the john, what a trip. The plexiglass had several small holes cut in it to vent the wonderful smell into the restroom. I have never seen anything like that growing in a toilet. What a wonderful sight, I am just tickled pink to see such an inviting sight... I got to say this adds a new dimension to the Dutch toilet etiquette. A little sign on the window said it was ‘Blueberry Bud’. Well after that, I decided to go back to my table and roll up a joint of the Maui, and ponder what I had just seen. I got another cola from the kind barkeep and finished my joint. Before I could leave, I just had to see that one more time. I wanted to make sure that I really saw that or I was going to have to report a new level of strength in the AMS ghanja. I opened the door and looked really hard. It was real. When I turned around the barkeep asked if I liked it. I told him that that was the most pleasant unexpected surprise that I have ever received in a toilet. We chuckled a bit and I headed up to the Rijks to get my wife. What luck, she was headed down the street to meet me as I rounded the curve. We headed up about three streets more away from the Rijks, and took a right to get to the post office to mail out some postcards. Leaving there, we decided to walk to the hotel we stayed at last year, and already have booked for a June/July first anniversary trip this year. We just seen another tram in tow, and you can tell that the streets are kinda full. We are excellent pedestrians and dodged our way over to the Prinsengracht. I find this and the Herengracht to be my favorite canals, especially in the springtime when life begins. The trees are budding nicely; the leaves on the trees are starting their full explosion. It is though life is really beginning now. Even with all this beauty, being the LastHamlet, I tell you something weird is in the air. I don’t know what it is, but I am sure I soon will. I think it has nothing to do with the wonders of Holland, or it wondrous and endless pleasures. It is something nonetheless. On with the walking as we come upon our favored place to stay. That being the Hotel Prinsenhoff, with it’s nicely painted exterior and doorway. . We spent our Honeymoon in this hotel last year and it was just perfect. You open that front door and you see the most straight up stairs possible. Of course, the handrail on each side helps a lot. They have a pulley once you reach that main floor to hoist your luggage the rest of the way up.
That is good, cause we stay on the fourth floor while there. The hotel is a very quite and peaceful place. They have the same people return each year, simply for the solitude.
Okay I got lost on a hotel review from last year in my mind. Sorry about that!!! We did stand somberly in front for several minutes, then moved on as not to appear to be stalkers. We continued or walking up the Prinsengracht to enjoy this (AMS terms) ‘Hot Day’ It is 76 degrees right now. :) We took an off beat trail and wander in circles for a while and then said ‘FOOD’. So there was this place on Korte Leidsewarsstraat 111, called Maya’s Argentinian Grill. (That is how it was spelled, I wrote it down.) Man, I have to tell you they cook a mean steak. They had something my wife liked as well. This hit the spot for sure. This gives us the fuel we needed to carry on. We did walk around and jump on a Tram #4. They were all new with news monitors mounted in them. Now that was a modern thing I was not expecting in a tram nonetheless. These puppies rode smooth to. We rode one to CS to stop by and get a smoke at ‘Old Style’.
I know you people get board with me continuing to go there, I am just so happy to see them still with us. Nevertheless, I stepped up to the counter, marked by a plaque at the bottom with none other than Al Capone on it. I got three grams of the White Widow and plopped down in the first table right behind me. LastOphelia got us beverages and you know the fellow asked me if I was rolling a nuke again. I told him there just wasn’t any other way. I did manage to tell him the ‘old saying’ “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks”... He always gets a chuckle out of me. I did my customary joint rolling and fired it up. I also had to have a few more colas than usual. It really did seem warm. It felt like 80 degrees outside, I kid you not. The thermometer said 76, though. We spent about an hour there before we had to see more of the city.
We just thought to ourselves, or I did, that we haven’t visited Frederiksplein Park. It appeared as thought the trams were really full so we headed off on foot. It was only a twenty-minute walk, so off we went. We were walking down Vijzelstraat, and passing the Easy Everything. I know it is big, but it sure appeared to be crowded. Looked like a lot of e mailing going on. As we continued we seen one of our know street people. We call him ‘Dank U Well Man’. Every time we would give him a few coins he would say “Dank U Well’. He is a tall and slender fellow with a long beard and long hair. Light colored hair, not quite blonde, just very light brownish red. He has the most sparkling blue eyes that make you wonder how he got in this position. He always has a nice demeanor, unlike many the other panhandlers. We always seem to muster up a few Euro for him.
Right up the street and to the little park we like so much. It was just as we remembered. The fountain on the other side of the road, and the shaded side with a piece of tree art in the middle of the walking trail on the other side. The side without the fountain has a nice little rounded culdasac with seven benches on one side, a rounded short stone wall on the other. We grabbed a bench near one end, and immediately you can start to feel the serenity of the essence of this little park. In the absence of time movement, I think we were there a little over an hour and a half. I think we sat there and smoked about two fat, gram and a half hooters, and I smoked a small bowl of Kif after that. You know that worked up quite an appetite, smoking those j’s that is. We had an idea to keep going down the street past the Dutch Royal Bank and across the Stadhouderskade, and a few more blocks down the VanWoustratt. Just after you pass the right turn to go to the Albert Cuypmarket, on the left at number 37 is one of our favorite sandwich shops. It is called the Dalida’s Grillroom. It is run by and Egyptian fellow and his sons. I used to correspond with one of his son since 1995. He has now moved back to Egypt, and we do not see him anymore. I seem to always have the same thing when I come in here. It is a Broodje with lamb and three kinds of unique sauce come with it. The bread is like pita bread and it is always stuffed with lamb and over running with flavor. I usually have to roll out of here, literally. When we left our little grillroom, we realized we were a little tired and it had been a long day. So, to facilitate an easy way home we jumped a tram #4 to CS, and then crossed over the middle to the other tram side and caught our faithful #1 right to the hotel door. After unwinding and getting a long shower each, we decided to have an evening smoke out. I began sprinkling Grey Mist Crystal on our remaining Grey Mist Bud stash. We slowly devoured four good size bowls, and faded out like a slow sinking ship.
Well it was the best weather day so far, with a high of 77 degrees and an over night low of 61 degrees. At the end of this nice day, we had consumed a little over 8 grams. I think we are having a good time.

DAY #6
We did manage to wake up in time for breakfast this morning. Besides that, we wanted to see the progress of the construction project going on out back. It is in the beginning stages of the process, and the fellow at the hotel said they needed that parking and shop like a hole in their heads. It does seem to take away the entire courtyard of the short-block. I guess only time will tell.
Well it has been an awesome trip so far; things have never been so bright and alive, then right here and right now. We have decided to change our morning routine, as not to get in a rut. Heading out for CS on the tram. BTW, trams have been really slow lately. We make our way uptown and head for Rokerij-CS. As you walk in it just seems so wide open, in comparison to say ‘Old Style’. The weed hut is in the front of the shop. As I looked at the menu, I had the feeling this was all too familiar. It was almost a verbatim cast of the ‘Old Style’ menu. I decided to ask the fellow why the striking similarities. He told me that the same man owns all the Rokerij’s and the ‘Old Style’. Now that is a hoot, I never had any idea. I knew when the Old Style closed for a few months you could get info at the Rokerij, but I never suspected the Old Style was sort of, part of a chain. It is indeed a small world. Therefore, it was easy to make a choice from the menu, 2 grams of AK-47 and 2 of the Heavens Delight. Yep, exact same look to the weed. This was my first visit to a Rokerij, so I paid attention to check it out completely. Now the furniture here is a bit different. It rather reminds me of antique ‘Romper Room’ furniture on one side, with a long bench along the wall. The other had the East Indian, rolled up rug seats. It seemed everybody liked the place though. Had some kicking old ‘Foreigner and Bob Seager’ playing, that was right on time. The weed proved to be of the exact quality of its counterpart. I don’t know about this sitting low stuff though. After getting our morning smoke, we ventured out to the sunny world of AMS. We didn’t have a lot of time to kill wandering around this morning. OldHippyGuy has already landed, and we were due to meet him at the Het Ballonnetje at high noon. Walking just a little to stretch our legs we headed to the CS, to get a number #9, to Plantage Kerklan stop. You get off the tram there and continue to street corner, where you make a right. Walk forward a few more blocks, cross the canal bridge, and then slightly veering left, then turning back to the right. At that point, you can see the University of Amsterdam across the road from you. As you get a little closer to being directly across from it, you can see the Het Ballonnetje sign on the right. It looks like a Balloon. BTW, I asked how to pronounce it the other day while here. Balloona-g, like ‘gee’ your hair smells good. You just aren’t gonna believe this, they were closed and remodeling the entire floor. I mean they had everything out of the shop, and part of the main floor completed. OldHippyGuy showed up in just a few moments saying he already had the scoop. It seems that a 15-year-old was caught inside, and they were ordered to close for a week. The owner was taking this opportunity to totally remodel the shop. I wonder if they will change those balcony stairs, so Mr. Charlie and I will not trip going up, or fall going down, lol.
Well, after a minute of gaulking in disbelief we decided to head into town. The three of us grabbed a tram #9 and rolled to the CS. We give an initial lay out of AMS, and took him immediately to the VVV to get his tram tickets and museum tickets and such. Then it was off to the ‘Old Style’ where he begins to order rampantly. He shops as I did in 1995, God, I like his spirit. I order a few grams myself and we all began to roll up some hootage. We were not there very long before we headed off to the next stop on our escapade. Upon exiting, I would give OHG, a perspective of where we were and where we were headed. Of course, I toured him by the hat trick of Rokerij, Bulldog and Doors on the Singel. Of course crossing the little bridge after that and headed right. Right that is to the Siberie. Again, my newly found fried bought up some good gear. Now we smoked up a joint or two in here. Quite naturally, we ordered a couple of hot chocolates with whipped cream and sprinkles. You know they had the wall where the bathrooms are, decorated up with a bunch of huge ‘question marks’. All over the wall in a paternalistic plan, one of which I was to smoked up to grip. No matter to me what is on the walls, it is still one of my most favorite coffeeshops.
Now, OldHippy wanted to see how to get to the Grey Area. We left the Siberie by exiting to the right then a right on the Singel. We just walked down about a half a mile to the statue of the head, which was barely visible from this route, seeing how a lot of street construction was going on. We stopped there to tell OHG exactly where we were on the map. We told him, if you took a left here, and go straight a few blocks, you would end up catty cornered from the backside of the Royal Palace. With this and a few other tidbits said, we took a right instead, and on the right was the Grey Area Coffeeshop. To be honest I needed to refill my prescriptions here as well. I had just convinced OldHippyGuy to accept my bag of Kif as a gift of friendship. It was only about a gram and a half’s worth, but that freed him up to purchase more of their bud. Purchase was an understatement in this case. I really like the OldHippy’s style. However, this was the first time I had ever met Steve. I have to say this; he was interesting to say the least. He had a clean shaved head and was wearing a pair of 1980’s Elton John style glasses. All the while talking on his cell phone, telling someone he might just close early, imagine that. I think I understand why others get a little ill with him. We had no problems, making our orders quickly as not to, suddenly be shut out. We sat at the table. There was availability as usual. I say usual cause somehow it works out that way for me, every time I go. Dam, I think I scare people off or something. Nevertheless, We rolled up a big joint of Grey Mist Bud & Crystal. Yes, we smoked the whole thing. It was so good I can still taste it, and that has been over 2 weeks. Four or five colas and a few coffees and we were off.
By now, we were all ready for a good meal. We had to go around the fencing at the intersection, but went through the backside of the Dam, caught a tram #4 and rode it to Stadhouderskade stop. We got off and took him to Dalida’s grillroom. We told him this was one of the best versions of a broodje in the town of AMS. The sauce is what makes it. Not to mention it is one of the most reasonable places to get a good filling meal. Even while we were eating the meal, he agreed with us. Indeed a gem of a restaurant.
Well, that was fantastic and he told me he wanted to see the Noon. So, back up the street to Stadhouderskade and took a left. It was easy to show him where the Heineken Brewery was also, I just pointed up the Stadhouderskade from the Rijks, to give him bearing. Once we got to the Rijks Museum, we hooked a right went over the bridge took the second left and you all know what is halfway down the block, that’s right, the Noon Coffeeshop.
The OldHippy was really on a buy binge; again, I really like his style. He got the 5-gram Blueberry deal, came to the table and sat it down. Then went back to the counter and got some other stuff. Always respecting the ‘so-called’ 5-gram limit. That is 5 grams per trip to the counter. While he was into that, I had to check out that neat little crop of Blueberry again. When I returned OldHippyGuy threw a huge bag of Blueberry over at me and said we need to smoke one in honor of our beloved ‘Blueberry’. With her in mind, I rolled a two-gram special. With each and every inhale and exhale of that wonderful tasting weed, we thought of her. Just for you Blueberry, we had our magical Blueberry Moment in hopes you could somehow feel it. We hung around over an hour and smoked another small one to boot. I packed my travel pipe and we began on the rest of the initial tour, of some of the places, he wanted to see. After walking and talking a while we were in Spui, via the scenic route. I walked him around to the Dampkring, we just checked it out from the street, and it was very full at the time. With this walk by we give him a bearing on the place at least. We went back to show him some of the good restaurants we liked in Spui. Cafe Restaurant Luxembourg was high on the list. In addition, Kanjil en Tiger was mentioned with the highest regards. Thanks again Banks. We walked him around that short little corner to show him how to find Dutch Flowers. We left the immediate area of Spui by walking down Spuistraat all the way to the Beaume. We also showed him the Chocolata on the way to Beaume. Now they were doing street construction here as well. Some of the shop owners of those coin shops across from Kadinsky were a little hot about that. The Beaume had placed wooden flat skid down and set up there outside tables on them. It did not seem to bother them. We done some more slow walking around the town until we were all about to drop. We went to eat a quick evening snack at that Carousel Restaurant across the road from the Brewery. At this point, we all decided to call it an evening and set up a meeting for tomorrow, to go to Haarlem...
With plans set we took a tram to CS and showed OHG, which side his tram #9 took off from. We even waited until his tram showed, and watched him leave. What an extremely nice fellow, the wife and I said as he rode away. The wife and I headed for the HempWorks to score several bowls of Mushrooms to take our third journey. Now once we divide the weed smoked by us 3 people by 2/3, to get the total of the wife and I’s, consumption. In addition, you have to add the morning smoke we had, plus the night smoke for the Shroom journey, the wife and I smoked 11 grams today. All I can say is I felt it too. The whole day was a haze like lofting episode. We still haven’t used an umbrella at all. The days high was 74 degrees and the over night low was 57. This has to be some kind of Amsterdam record. The weather is a lot better now that the June/July trip we took last year. I guess my order went through, there is power in being an Indian...LOL...
Good Night All.

So much more to come, remember it was a 10 day trip.
Last edited by LastHamlet on Fri May 02, 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

patrick

again

Postby patrick » Wed Apr 30, 3:18 am

once again a most excellent trip report. if nothing else we have confirmation that people can smoke 7 grams a day and still walk. i am off to search for cheap airfare now, too bad my vacation is not untill october. i am also glad you liked the singel rokerji, i always sit in the little patio like place in the front.

SkipMDMan
power poster
power poster

next time

Postby SkipMDMan » Wed Apr 30, 3:20 am

If we do manage to be in the Dam again,at the same time,I'll have to do a wander about with you. It sounds like fun,even though I would probably just try a nice prerolled joint at each of the places.

You are going to be back over there in June and July? I have an apartment reserved from Jun 15th through Jul 15th and perhaps on to Aug 15th,depends on how I feel. Staying in a hotel was okay,I had a very large (by European hotel standards) room at the AMS City Centre hotel the last two trips but 3 weeks is a long time to be in a 1 room place. This time I thought I'd live like a native and get my own apartment,albeit one that's fancy,furnished and cleaned for me.

Skip

BlueBerry
super power poster
super power poster

Postby BlueBerry » Wed Apr 30, 5:20 am

What can I say but TOTALLY AWESOME reports LastHamlet, your daily accounts are MINDBLOWING!! Definitely my kind of vacation:)) We have got to hook up sometime in paradise and smoke out every coffeeshop on our lists:))

Loved the part about the 'Nuclear Joint' and about your reaction to the live growing blueberry plant in the Noon bathroom or should I say toilet!?! LOL

Can't wait for the finale, I am on pins and needles til the next episode.....

BlueBerry

BlueBerry
super power poster
super power poster

Postby BlueBerry » Wed Apr 30, 5:27 am

0h and my favorite part:

When I returned OldHippyGuy threw a huge bag of Blueberry over at me and said we need to smoke one in honor of our beloved ‘Blueberry’. With her in mind, I rolled a two-gram special. With each and every inhale and exhale of that wonderful tasting weed, we thought of her. Just for you Blueberry, we had our magical Blueberry Moment in hopes you could somehow feel it. We hung around over an hour and smoked another small one to boot.

Thanks, the thoughts are much appreciated - if only the buzz could have been meditated to me somehow.........IF ONLY! or the smell or taste, this is so torture.....ALL these reports, but pleasurable torture:))

Keep 'em comin'....

BlueBerry

hank
power poster
power poster

Postby hank » Wed Apr 30, 8:08 am

Thanks for the super trip report, you jogged some great memories of streets, coffeeshops, and of a sunny time I spent in july a few years ago, you picked up my day today.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Wed Apr 30, 4:38 pm

"I think we are having a good time"

Well I think so too! My problem is that even after decades of smoking I am a lightweight by your standards. That is why I have seen so few coffeeshops! Great reports, keep 'em coming!

Mr. Charlie
super poster
super poster

Postby Mr. Charlie » Wed Apr 30, 8:25 pm

Great report, LH!!

Despite the treacherousness of the stairs at Het Ballonetje, there was a sense of stoned accomplishment by making it down them with by bag and the espresso cup & spoon all in tow without breaking my neck. It's so cozy on that balcony, that I look forward to getting back there when it's a little easier to navigate!!

Thanks for the detail - I lived on the #9 for 9 days!

LaTristesseDurera
super power poster
super power poster

Wow

Postby LaTristesseDurera » Wed Apr 30, 11:52 pm

I am amazed at the awesome amounts of weed you (and others) go through. And I'm someone who smokes every day, multiple times, but I'm a complete puss compared to some of you people and some of the other Americans I've seen in Amsterdam. Is there really a difference between smoking a 2 gram joint and a 1/2 gram joint? I mean, isn't there only a certain amount of high that you can get, right? Or is it just me who levels off after a certain number of hits? I mean, when I used to do coke, I would smoke amounts of weed like that, but if the weed is good and it's working I always feel like it's a waste to smoke more than necessary. Perhaps it's the Calvinist in me....
Curious to hear from the big smokers on this one....

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

I am so glad you asked that question.

Postby LastHamlet » Thu May 01, 2:27 am

LaTristesseDurera, I am so glad you asked.
I live in an area where shwag is rampant. Kind Bud is available some time, but rare. I have had a 29 year love affair with the Ghanja. I have studied it's every effect, really I have. I know for one, us male chronic smokers, that is daily and heavy, have a 95% chance of reproducing a female child. That is a stat you will not see in a medical journal.
I know something else about the ghanja, it builds up in your body, in levels. You cut back and the level in your system goes down. Increase and the level goes up. I call this little enigma, the "LEVEL" of comfort.
Now on to the point; when I go to AMS, I smoke way more than normal. It is the finest smoke I have ever smoked, (IMHO)...
A half of a gram is just fine in a joint, and will get you to a the plateau. Now a two gram joint will not only get you there, but start to work on increasing that inner body LEVEL.
Cause, when I come home, it's shwagsville, so to speak. Some swag will occassionally get you to the plateau, but does not keep the LEVEL up to the comfort bar, so to speak.
I was really glad you asked that question, I always love answering it.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: next time

Postby LastHamlet » Thu May 01, 2:47 am

SkipMDMan wrote:

You are going to be back over there in June and July?

I can't just ignore your question Skip, you are to fine a fellow for me to do that. You asked a tricky one though. This is, in an offbeat way, part of my current tragedy. In asking that, you opened a doorway that I ought to go ahead and reveal, but I am having a rough time with my current situation. In the last part of this ongoing trip report, yet to be posted, will indeed tell the reasons. I will say this Skip, "I hope so."
If such does happen I would consider it an honor to hang out Skip. Sorry to be so abstract, it has just cause though. Not been myself lately.

SkipMDMan
power poster
power poster

tragedies

Postby SkipMDMan » Thu May 01, 2:53 am

Hmm well I will await the rest of the story then,as it unfolds.

I'll save all wishes for different outcomes until I see all the
information though.

Too bad I had to run the last time,at least now I'll be there
all of June,July and maybe August too. I wonder how long
I have to be out of the Netherlands to start the 3 month
clock going again?

Anyone know that answer?

Best to ya,
Skip

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Thu May 01, 4:00 am

Superb trip report! I sit here and smoke a fatty as I read your report and suddenly I'm back there picturing exactly what you are doing...been there, done most of it. One part didn't make sense logistically, but so what? As far as smoking mass quantities of weed while there....isn't that the primary reason for being there??? Indulge like crazy, in total freedom, while you can, and then shove as much space cake as you can down your pie hole on the way back to the airport to make it last as much of the trip back as you can. I got it to last ½ way back this time.
I can't get over that weather either, you were truly blessed, up to this point anyway. We got ½ day of that weather and then it went south.

Well, we just can't wait for the next/last installment. Thanks again.

moe.

Gyro Gearloose
regular
regular

Postby Gyro Gearloose » Thu May 01, 4:11 am

moe. wrote:...isn't that the primary reason for being there??? Indulge like crazy, in total freedom, while you can, and then shove as much space cake as you can down your pie hole on the way back to the airport to make it last as much of the trip back as you can. I got it to last ½ way back this time.
moe.

Um, dare I say it??? For me, not really. There are so many other things about Holland that I love (see my website, not exactly focused on smoke).
BUT, to each their own and the coffeeshops and fine smoke (I am partial to hasji) sure does add to the experience!
Pax

Dogbreath
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Dogbreath » Thu May 01, 8:59 am

Once again, another excellent field report from the front lines.

Looking forward to coming reports.

A great way to start my day reading these.... and reading these intensifies the scheming about that "next trip".

:-) Dogbreath

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Weldon » Thu May 01, 9:51 am

Great report, wow; incredible detail. Do you keep notes as you go along, a journal? You must. I kept a written journal too but it is somewhat different than what I post for all to read.

I'm surprised by the amount of smoke you go through too. I tend to get myself to "the plateau" and smoke enough to stay there. In Amsterdam, it's a different plateau, usually a higher one than home. The stuff I get is generally pretty good. It doesn't take a lot.

I made the Siberie a couple of times but didn't get to the Noon. Got my Blueberry fix from DeKuil, which I managed to make every day. In fact, I rolled into that place directly from CS after getting into town. Nothing like a bowl of Kali Mist to dissolve the jet lag.

I'll have to remember Naarden-Vesting. It sounds like some of those old German villages I visited.

Cheers, W

amst
regular
regular

Postby amst » Thu May 01, 5:53 pm

A two gram joint of Blueberry?? We had one Blueberry joint between us, and that had tobacco mixed in - and after only a few puffs we were well above the levels we are used to! Great report LH - thanks for sharing so much with us.

confuzn
power poster
power poster

Postby confuzn » Thu May 01, 6:55 pm

In 10 days we consumed over 250 grams of weed and hash in Amsterdam. Made for a wicked mad high!

confuzn

Bon Bon Billy
super poster
super poster

great job

Postby Bon Bon Billy » Thu May 01, 8:52 pm

Great report, LastHamlet. It was worth every second it took to read it. I wish I had your energy when it comes to writing. Thanks again.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby LastHamlet » Thu May 01, 9:26 pm

moe. wrote:One part didn't make sense logistically, but so what?

I think I see what you mean Moe, but I didn't walk OldHippyGuy by the brewery after leaving Dalida's on VanWoustraat. I pointed up the street(Stadhouderskade) in the direction of the brewery, from the rijks, giving him a bearing on the situation. Then we just proceeded right to the Noon. Sorry about that, good catch. I left a line out of that. Please forgive me, I am trying to include the most detail I can, so I missed a tree for the forest. Thanks for tightening me up.

Thanks to all for the kind remarks, the rest is comming soon.
Best Regards to all.

GT
power poster
power poster

Postby GT » Thu May 01, 10:54 pm

thanks again for the mental journey.

i have been more than a little concerned as to the nature of your tragedy; for a while i was thinking death in the family...in an odd way, the real story will be a relief; at least the suspense will be over.

best regards
gt

running wild
power poster
power poster

Postby running wild » Fri May 02, 2:44 am

Thanks for the outstanding trip report. Everytime I read one of your reports, I too feel like many others on Channels that have toured A'dam, that we are catipulted back to continuing episode. I would like to visit the medeval village when I go back during warm weather. My next trip to A'dam is in Nov. Nov 15 - Dec 1. Twice this year.

dobbs
power poster
power poster

Postby dobbs » Fri May 02, 3:46 am

I now want to go to Naarden Vesting, too....
All these excellent reports are making it harder and harder for me to stick to my "no more trips to Amsterdam 'til 2004" budget.

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

logistics

Postby moe. » Fri May 02, 5:42 am

LH, actually that wasn't the part I was refering to. I haven't mastered the quote part of this yet, but you mention coming out of the Rijksmusem and going to the Albertcuypstr. market again, then while walking back to the hotel stopping in El Guapo.
I know from the market back to the hotel is towards Overtoom, but El Guapo is on Nieuwe Nieuwstr. just down the way from Homegrown Fantaseeds, which is way out of the way from the market and Overtoom. Is there, like Stix, another shop that I was unaware of? And if so, please excuse my interruption.
I'm really enjoying the reports so far, more than words can properly say, but I'm kinda wary of this looming tragedy... I was never a big one for sad endings. I really do hope all works out well.

moe.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Wow, correct again.

Postby LastHamlet » Fri May 02, 1:36 pm

I am so sorry, I type so slow that by the time I get deep in one of these pages my eyes run together. I left out a couple of sentences there. Thanks for catching it, I do like for it to be correct. It takes me three or four hours to write a single page. I am a turtle in this world. But as I was saying, when I seemingly get a three day segment finished, I am to eager to post it. I am currently finishing day 7 thru 9, I will definantly have to proof read it first. Thanks Again Moe. I edited that part to include the missing lines, as well as the brewery thing as well.

MaxT
participating
participating

Postby MaxT » Fri May 02, 3:42 pm

Thanks for the great Trip report LH. Looks like you and LO had a great time !! Looking forward to the last part of your report. Man I can't wait for my august trip:) Thanks for taking the time to give us this great report.
Peace,
Max

SuZe
power poster
power poster

Amazing stuff, Last Hamlet!

Postby SuZe » Sat May 03, 5:50 am

LH, you are the very definition of a super power poster! And, judging by the amount of grass you consume, you are now my new super hero as well.

I'm looking forward to challenging my "level" in.....6 weeks and counting!

LaTristesseDurera
super power poster
super power poster

Whoa

Postby LaTristesseDurera » Sat May 03, 5:51 pm

confuzn wrote:In 10 days we consumed over 250 grams of weed and hash in Amsterdam. Made for a wicked mad high!

confuzn

Holy shit. I definitely put myself in the category of 'chronic smokers' (my test would be whether or not you get high in the parking lot at the airport before your flight to Amsterdam,) but I just don't get it (despite LH's very poetic 'levels' post.) I mean, don't your lungs start to hurt after a while? Do you drink a lot of alcohol? I know I smoke more when I've been drinking because I don't notice things like shortness of breath and dry sinus cavities. Not to mention shortness of funds! Confuzn, no wonder you have to work so hard now, looks like you spent the budget of a third world country on cannabis products!

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

That is a Big Blow-Out.

Postby LastHamlet » Sat May 03, 6:19 pm

Yeah, Confuzn I read that and all I can say is "You are the Ganja smoking king." 250 g's in 10 days. Long Live the New King.
LaTristesseDurera, I am affraid even I have NOT the poetry to cough through 250 grams of Amsterdam's bounty, in 10 days time. It just goes beyond me and my poetic ability. I am a 'has was' of a passing time. By that I mean, I 'has' been a good and chronic smoker, but apparently that 'was' so long ago.
Perhaps Confuzn Himself, reaching inside himself, summoning up the explainatory factors, could touch on this issue? What do you say 'New King' ? A few words for the crowd please...
I carried the ball well, it's your turn now.
Best of Regards to Confuzn.

BTW, Thanks for the kind words Suze, MaxT, Moe, Running Wild, and all others. No death GT, thanks for the concern. Maybe death of heart though.
Bon Bon Billy I have read your previous posts, you are a better writer than I can ever hope to be. Some of those smokin' hits on the politics board are pure insight.
Best Regards to All.
Rest of report comming slowly, but they are the best parts of the report.

oldhippyguy
power poster
power poster

JUST IN CASE SOMEONE SEES THIS..

Postby oldhippyguy » Fri May 16, 8:13 pm

iI SHOULD HAVE REPLIED TO THIS A LONG TIME AGO WHEN MULTIPLE PEOPLE WERE READING IT.LASTHAMLET DID NOT TAKE NOTES AS WE WENT ALONG..AT LEAST I DID NOT SEE IT..HE HAD AN INCREDIBLE MEMORY, OBVIOUSLY..AND UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES THAT IS A MIRACLE, AS WE CONSUMED JUST WHAT HE SAID..PERHAPS LASTO TOOK NOTES BUT I DO NOT REMEMBER IT..AMAZING..HE IS AN INCREDIBLE HUMAN BEING, AND I AM PRIVILEGED TO CALL HIM MY BROTHER AND TRUE FRIEND NOW..wHAT TRIP REPORTS, UNMATCHED SO FAR AS I HAVE SEEN..AND HE KNOWS HIS STUFF, LET ME TELL YOU..I FEEL VERY LUCKY TO HAVE MET HIM (THEM) AND BE ABLE TO LEARN FROM A MASTER FROM THE BEGINNING. I WILL TRY TO PLAN MY TRIPS AROUND WHEN HE WILL BE THERE ..THAT IS HOW HIGHLY I REGARD HIM.THIS BRINGS BACK WONDERFUL MEMORIES..PEACE.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”