Crossroads & Venues.... Part #1

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Crossroads & Venues.... Part #1

Postby LastHamlet » Fri May 06, 4:00 am

How did I get here???
I’m not really sure.
This was a seat of the pants, last minute prodding by my buddy Banks, trip to the Magical Kingdom. (Last Minute = not my normal 8 month planning cycle)
Signing up for the party was just ‘High Hopes’, so to speak. Making that dream a reality was going to take some kind of ‘rabbit out my Keister’ indeed.
All along I was really sure a trip in 2005 was not going to be possible. With the list mounting, and many of the legends I had always wanted to meet signing up, I was a bit on the broken hearted side of life. Just when I was ready to chunk in the towel and be a viewer from afar, the light did shine. Although, a small and not very bright glimmer of hope did emerge. It was a potential to score some major OT at work that started to spark the hope. With the potential of this lasting way into the rest of the year, hope was beginning to see a stronger arm to grab the dream with. Crunching the numbers and going over my budget many times, made the ‘Arm of Hope’ strong enough to grab the brass ring. :)
Ja, it was possible!!! and so with a few mouse-clicks, and a few words typed, a ticket was purchased. It is this point I call the point of very little return. I have only canceled one ticket in my life to Amsterdam, and that one didn’t even have my name on it. So, this point was usually the factor, to make the train roll. :-)
Well, with posted hopes on the forum, small bumps were still encountered. (Imagine That!)
Four and a half weeks prior to the trip, my Grandfather died. Well into his 90’s, and living the life he always liked, that of a farmer and saw mill operator, he left the world in a fleeting moment. (One hard workin’ Injun was needed elsewhere.) It really seemed strange, and Granny knew what her trail was soon to be. Now, here is the really sad part, she never took another bite of food from that day on.
It took her nearly 4 weeks to wither away to nothing, and really no longer the person we had known anymore. I never saw a more determined person in my life, even in the quest of the hereafter. (It must be where I got it from???) Even in a complete state of unconsciousness she would slam her mouth shut when anybody would try to give her food, or any medicine. Man, with tears in my eyes while writing this, I got to say, she was one tough old braude. Unfortunately, I was never close to that side of the family, and that is a sadness all it’s own. The entire other side of the family has already passed away, and it is a lonely world at times. Sad the bonds that we seem to miss in life, in cause of the broken families that lie in the ruins.
The rest of that side of the family had spoken of the life plan of the two, who had over 75 years together as a couple. It was said that they had talked many years ago, and decided that when one left this world, the other knew what to do. The ‘what to do’ was never announced, but evident was the purpose for this preset plan. I tell you this, because in a way, it is one of the most romantic tales I have ever had to fortune to actually witness.
She left this world 1 week prior to the departure date on my ticket. As determined in the last minutes to complete her journey, as never before. It was way too lonely a world without her man. Somehow, I understood, I understood more than I thought I could. Talking about actually seeing the “7 Spanish Angels”? I never knew such a bond existed, I just never knew.
Yes, Bollocks is right about me, I am the ‘melancholy one’, for sure. Although, this time, for what strange twist of events, these were tears of joy in some life long and most profound ways. It was a classic tale that I had only read about in the pages of time. One would die, then soon the other would follow, I thought it was a myth, until I saw it with my own two eyes. God, how romantic can life be??? Strange I would see this side, at such the time, but this is what has always led me to be the one on the outside, looking in, while the party goes on.
None the more I say, it is this days task to embark on a journey, a journey that in spirit I shall carry their remembrances. Far be it from me to be less determined than Granny. Besides, promises were made, things were said, and some things in life you have to do. Not to share this before or during the journey, for it may cast some ray of gloom, and I am tired of the gloom. It is time to be a different person, time to make some changes, time to meet some other travelers, time to be at the Party, time to find the ‘CROSSROADS AND VENUES’ of DE CHANNELS......................................

Sitting at JFK after my short hop from RDU, I was in a missing Maid Marian mode, and running over some thoughts about how nice it would be to have her on this journey. I know I seem to be a bit of a flirt, but that is to overcompensate for being so introverted. This seems to keep me at some kind of good balance, most of the time.
Wait, who appears to my front side but the legendary, and I do mean legendary, Viking.!!!
I had thought, maybe just a little older fellow, but Viking is fairly young, and seemed eager to be heading off to Amsterdam at that. Hey, he was not alone in his eagerness, as I too was really wanting to hop aboard and get this show on the road. It will be good to be back in the fair city I love, and as well many others love too. I am not jealous of AMS, I know many love her equally, and maybe greater for all I really know? Other than Viking scored a class seat, right beside the captain, the flight was uneventful. (You lucky Dog, Viking.) Actually, it couldn’t happen to a nicer fellow, plus Viking is a tall fellow. Still, I had to wake him up when I noticed the grand seat he had gotten. (I am not sure he liked me waking him, as he wanted to sleep the whole flight, so I went back to do the same.) Sorry Viking, didn’t mean to wake you, just got excited about you getting such a grand seat :-)

Day #1 Sunday April 17th 2005... The Longest, First Day, I Ever Had.

A call was made from Schiphol on a phone Viking had, and plans were laid in place. This was to be the beginning of the biggest gathering of Channelites at one time, EVER!!! It was going to be an honor to meet all the people I only knew as avatars, and their chosen words on threads. If there was a time to meet up with many common feathers, this was the time.
Upon arrival at Central Station we exited the station and who was there??? The other end of the phone call.,,,, SDShadow, with two really nice joints, and a handshake. This was a first for me, and I really want to thank SD for the super nice gesture. Funny thing, I reached into my pocket and had a lighter, and sparked up my joint. Viking asked, “where did you get that lighter?” to which, I didn’t know??? I turned in my newest ‘Bic’ at the airport, but the coat must have had a lighter I stole from Maid Marian, right before the trip, in the inner pocket. Accidental thefts mind you, but lighter loss and gain is as common an epidemic as bicycle recycling in Amsterdam. Actually, the lighter thing may be more rampant...LOL.
SDShadow had his Brother with him, and both of them were exceptional company. I had to Thank SD again for the joint, as it was really nice to step out of Central, first arriving, and having a joint handed to you. :-) BTW, SD has a bold and striking persona. As Viking said to me, “He has a full head of black hair and will never have to worry about going bald.” I found that to be true, and the fact that Viking mentioned several times what a super-nice guy SD was, true as well. I would also say Viking himself is a super-nice guy. Glad to have met Viking and SD many times on the stay this year. Same is true of SD’s Brother!!! (I feel I should not give his name, as he may join the Channels soon, and have his own logo to create/use.)
Viking had this really cool hat he had bought, I believe in Holland??? Not a cheap hat either, and one that seem to convey style. That hat seemed to make the Viking, more and more as the trip went on.
We didn’t toke too long before heading over to Coffeeshop Central, as we might as well have a cold drink. This would be my first visit to Coffeeshop Central, as like some, may have assumed it was just a touristy place. However, hey nay, they had some right nice gear, and dam nice prices to top it off. Settling in at the seats at the window, I made my first weed purchase. Triple X was looking good, and SD had already mention how good it was, so be it. I got a nice 5 gram bag, right off the menu board, for 25 Euros. So begins my first effort to make a doobie in Amsterdam in over 9 and a half months. Hey, I get practice so all worked out well and the first ‘ball bat’ was looking good.

While sitting there smoking our first rounds in the first stop, I remember my thought well...
You think by now, my 8th journey, this would have grown a bit old? Well, maybe, like I titled this voyage, it is a crossroads. Lose the love of the ghanja,,,,, No, that will never happen. Lose the love for AMS and surrounding cities thereof?,,,, No way, also, never gonna happen. Lose the passion for writing about all the adventures I have in AMS?,,,, NOPE, It’s the only thing I write about, Period. Lose any gleam I have in my eye for the ongoing illusion of Bicycles, Trams, Museums, Sights & People. Lose the spark for Mark & Sabine & Berna & Danny at the Hotel, The Food, The Charm, The Canals & Boats, The Magic, The Coffeeshops, The Intense Aura that makes Amsterdam what it is?,,,, Never... It is and always will be the magical city I get lost in. :-)
However, with all that which I may not lose, there is still refinement of how they will be viewed, and approached. At this crossroads, I find myself changing ever so slightly. My elders warned me of this, I now know it is true. It is the clicking off of the years that has the ever changing, subtle effects on who we are. Even more, for that moment, who we think we are. How my views and such seem to be changing?????? Well, some things are obvious, time has left me not the strong young warrior for the cause of ghanja, for one. It has changed the speed at which I can travel through the city on foot, this time monster has. I have come to realize I do not need to, nor have the desire to smoke as much ghanja as I used to. True, still love it, just do it less these days. Going further out of Holland as I once thought of,,,, not really seeing that happing in the future. Never know though? as I am not totally a creature of the planning. :) Coffeeshops, not as much but I still love ‘em. :) The people, and places, I love even more. The ones I have come to know, and have met, I like even more as well.
These are the changes that have marked this place in time for me. What tomorrow has, maybe yet another layer of subtle changes??? I don’t know. It is the ‘IT’ that always keeps me a bit surprised at times, a lot surprised at other times. You just got to love it :-)

Yes, back to Coffeeshop Central, where I hope nobody noticed me ‘Zoning’... Woops, I think I was busted, missed a joint passing,,, maybe two rounds I missed??? Well, better catch up...Puff, Puff, Pass!! This proving to be a most excellent first meeting in AMS, and the shop was really a good choice as well:) We ended up busting up the party somewhere around 10:30 that morning, and I was off to leave my bag at the hotel.
It was good to see Mark at the top of the entry steps, and he always has a smile. I scurried up the steps and he was asking where the luggage was. I surprised him with only one small bag, and a bigger surprise was that I was traveling alone. I had booked a double room, only to have a room on the top floor, as that was the only one available at the time I booked anyhow. Not my favored room, as that was long booked, but the one across the hall. I had never stayed in no other room but #9, so this was going to be a treat indeed. Though, no canal view, it does have a view of a nice private courtyard, and that can be a most relaxing and wonderful thing too.
A Dutch friend was there, one I had actually smoked with in Holland. He stopped by to give me a small pipe and a piece of really good and gooey hash. I was surprised at such, but was happy he thought of me. With a few puffs of the pipe, he had to go and be taking care of his daily business. He seems to know when I am here, and even the day I land. No matters how things happen here, it all seems to have some kind of magic to it.
Mark and I chatted to catch up on the year, and the things gone by. His cleaning staff was late, so I could not officially check in at the moment. Leaving the bag in the office, no problem at all though. I got a cold drink from him, and he even offered breakfast, but I was good. I grabbed a few things from the bag, and a Jack Johnson music CD for him. I tend to always bring him a music CD, as he is a music loving person.:) Of course, I believe that is the norm for the residents of the Hotel Prinsenhof. Not loud, blaring music, but at a peaceful level, and good to hear. In fact, several have heard Mark playing the guitar, along with Jim from Ohio. (Jim shows up later on this trip too.) I swear I think Jim is nearly a resident here. No matter what time of year I come he is always here at least a day or two, and usually in his preferred room #4. Why???? Not sure... Room #4 is the smallest room in the hotel, but does have a canal view. Maybe it’s just right for Jim’s stuff to fit in, and it is not such a high climb as the rooms on the upper floors??? I told Mark I would come back later, and needed to do some shopping to start off with.

After grabbing a tram #4, which is really right outside the hotel, and up three doors to the stop, I got off at Stadhouderskade, and walked down to the Albert CuypMarket. Dam, I have never arrived in AMS on a Sunday, so I was really never aware the Cuyp Market was closed on that day. Okay, on to a better plan...Drop in on a fellow at Dalida’s Grillroom, a little further down Van Woustraat. Guess what??? he does not open till like 2:00 in the afternoon, so I am 0 for 2 to start off with.
Okay, I will just head back up near the hotel and get something at the corner diner, and have a ciggy or two. Well, guess what???, rounding the corner at Van Woustraat was two familiar characters. Though I have never met them in the person, I have seen a photo of them,,,,, Moe and Bev. I could tell they did not even see me, so I walked right behind them contemplating what way to surprise them. I was also trying to conclude if it was indeed them or not. I heard a few words of what they were saying,,, something about looking for the apartment, and I knew it was them. So, in a loud voice I said, “So, where do you think you two are going???” They paused, look around and still didn’t know who I was. I said then, “So, pretending not to know me???”.. at that point we all knew who we were, and shared the shock of the chance meeting together. They had just arrived, so we proceed to look for their apartment. Having the wrong number at first, a quick check of the luggage they had, and the right number and place was found in a flash.
What an apartment, and what a bunch of space they have. This place was sweet, and was on 3 actual levels. When you walked in, it was like a sitting foyer. Up one open-level and you have a dining, kitchen and sitting area, that was huge. Spinning around and down the other steps off the kitchen you came down to a giant bedroom with a raised bathtub, which was actually a half a level below the sitting foyer. With also a separate shower room, and toilet halfway up steps. It had a slide door that allowed you to get to the front door quickly from there, but you had to step up about three feet to do that. Very interesting lay-out, and man!!! do they have plenty of room. The front window is the size of a store front window, and very charming indeed. I can’t say enough about this kickin’ apartment.
Moe had an entry in a contest that made his bag smell like sweet ghanja. He gave me a smell of the canister, and I had to agree, this puppy may indeed win the contest. Of course, I am partial to Moe’s killer wares anyhow :-)
So, after they spoke with the lady a bit, and dropped their bags off, we headed up towards the Bushdoctor’s. Moe was on a hunt for specific items:) Right at the Prinsengracht I went to see if I could check-in and change my clothes, so I opted to meet up with them in a few minutes.
Still the cleaning staff was late, but on Sunday that is a common thing. I was allowed to take my bags up, and change my clothes, and brush my teeth. That was the wonderful part, and all I really needed anyhow :-)
Back down and headed to B’Doctor’s to rejoin the others. They were there and Moe was getting a vapo-demo from the barkeeper there. He wanted to see if it would affect him as well as smoking, however wanted to be straight at the time of doing it. I think a few drags had convinced him that he thought the effects of a vapo bag was less than smoking. I have to agree with him, as I own on myself. It is like a muffled kind of high, that is more cleaner tasting than lighting the weed with direct fire. After our juices were finished we headed on the apparent trail to quest the Grey Area bud.

Uh OOOOH, Surprise, guess who is working,,,, YEP, Steve. Only this time he seems different??? When I say different I am not sure if that is good or bad. He is not as rude as usual, and that is strange but good. However, he is spaced out a bit, and even on a few occasions is spotted talking to the cooler, and the shelf unit to his left. Very unusual, but I believe he is maybe just a bit distraught. Perhaps he has had a few tragedies in his present life as well. What was even more surprising is we got a table after acquiring our supplies. I actually only got 2 g’s of Grey Mist Crystals and a Coke Lite. Not staying very long, and just enough time to get in a few hits off a joint,,,, well, wait,,, we nearly finished that joint,,,, SWEET!!!
Nonetheless, across the road to the main canal road, and to a quaint little seed and head shop. Moe had it on his list to visit, and it did seem rather impressive. Not only that Viking was in the place already, and toking on a glass joint device they were trying in the back of the shop. This place, I gather, is rather famous, and they were telling Moe that there was some sort of awards this week.(Mon.Tues.Wed.) I believe it was the ‘Growers Cup’, and it seem to be pretty big to the fellow people of the kind. It was all the buzz, and the owner of the shop had a magazine with his picture on the cover. “National Cannagraphic” I believe was the name of it??? He also had a huge box of ghanja of many kinds laying out for all to try.:) Man, the party seems just beginning. In town a little over a half a day, and already piles of ghanja to smoke. There was one kind I tried, a ‘Super Silver Haze’ that was really sweet, and mostly Sativa. It had a nice fruity taste, and seemed to be a mellow smoke. This place was jumping for sure, but we could only spend about an hour in here before we were questing some munchies, and a 4:00 meeting at De Kuil. (Not necessarily in that order.)
There was still time for a head shop venture on the way over though. The Old Man, then a few others, till we had found out implements of ghanja use. These were the chosen devices that make the trip all seem the more like home. Well, some of these gadgets are not sold in my hometown, but they really should be :) So, with things in order it was time to do the 420 Cafe do, so to speak.

This to be a first of many De Kuil rendezvous’, and what a marvelous start. SDShadow and his Brother were already there, as well as Viking. I had to make a pit-stop in the bathroom, and when I returned Docski was sitting at the table adjoined to the other fellows. I had never met him, but had seen a blurred photo of him years ago. I could just tell it was him. A rather distinguished fellow, and easy to strike up good conversation with. It was good to finally get to meet him in the person. So many FF miles questions he had answered in the past years. So many helpful tips he passed along on the forum, and even when accused of being a poser some years back, had the grace to pull that facade off, in masterpiece-like form. Hats Off Doc!!!
I got a gram and a half bud of the Neville’s Haze at the counter, and commenced to roll it up in one hooter. Moe added something he had already picked up, to make it a nice joint to pass around. I do remember the joint smoking rather smoothly, for such a big joint anyhow. I think Doc tripped when I first rolled it up, but I am sure he has heard of the nuts like me, that can’t roll a small joint. Of course, I do use a filter,,,, well, actually 4 or 5 filters in one joint.... They are pretty nice size joints though. :-)
The meeting lasted a good bit, and several others came out to play. Chiqui and her son came by, and she was the life of the party. Really fun person to have around, and at times I had to keep reminding myself that she does not smoke the ghanja. She just has a naturally good humored personality without having to get a smoke on. (Wished I had that talent.) She has one of those smiles that will brighten any room:-)
Her son seemed rather quiet and well mannered. Not nearly the live wire as mom, but for sure Chiqui’s son.(Having the same smile, when you pried it out of him) This was a rather nice meeting, and with the exception of one young fellow(25ish), who was seated at one of the tables we were at. Not a Channelite, but someone who got caught up in our need to expand into three tables. The fellow seemed pretty normal, at first anyhow. Then, he began telling tales a shark hunting, and other careers , that even after only 10 minutes he had himself at 45 years old, or so. You know, one of those fellows that has been everywhere, and done everything... Ya right.
I noticed that I was not the only one finding his tales a bit outlandish... Doc had a weird look on his face at times, and eventually we just tuned him out altogether. It seemed the whole group tuned him out, in a similar thought pattern, me thinks. Plus, with better things to do, we had plenty to embellish on ourselves;) Hey, you got to know we all had our war stories...LOL...
One fellow had a sample of some weed he was growing for a Growers Cup entry of his own. WOW!!! it tasted like eucalyptus, in a way. I rather liked that taste, and I wish him well in his cup efforts. (Funny, he mentioned he had not yet named his kind. bud) He seemed like an intense young lad, and maybe he was on to something. After another cola and some more hits off a hash joint somebody rolled, the meeting seemed to be heading off in the wind. We had already been there several hours or more, and it was time to venture to Molly Malone’s for a good meal... Seeing how we were just minutes away, we decide to just skip on over to the Zeedijk, and head down the canal.
What the f??? The young fellow I have seen every time I come in, has a black eye??? His name is Kevin, and he is acting as if he doesn’t know he has a shiner. I had to ask, and the old man chimed in and said he had to whack him one for getting out of line...LOL. Seriously, after the joke session, Kevin told me he was fighting in a tournament, and well,,, you know. Really looked like a quarter of his face was the worse for the wear. He did seem okay, and in a manly fashion said “You outta see the other fellow.” I shutter to think, and hope they both will be okay.

With the greetings all done, a round of beverages before making our final decisions, was good to start with. Several people got the last remaining Kabobs, and I elected the rib-eye steak, medium please :-) Not to mention a few orders for stew dinners and somebody else got something else, and I cannot remember what??? I got to say, I really enjoyed the steak, and even had an Irish creme to savor the thought of it being cooked...Mmmmm!!!
There was more conversation going on than you could shake a stick at. Once, Chiqui’s son had to run up the street for just a minute,,, maybe a cute girl??? Hey, if not, I am sure one is certainly nearby. Sparks flew from fork and knife rather quickly at ye old Molly’s, and it seemed all had a good feast. :-)

Somewhere in the leaving we decided to go to Siberie. Moe had never been, and I was just dying to show him the place. Less than 10 minutes later we were walking in the door. Chichi had to stop short and make a call, but something went wrong as she looked puzzled coming into Siberie. After some advice from Moe and Bev, she went to make a second attempt at it. They were playing some older rock today, and it seemed to blend right into the background. I remember somebody rolled a joint, but remember not needing very much myself. The cola I got was just what I needed. I thought so anyhow????
Just when I least expected it, Bam!!! My stomach had a major cramp,,,,, and I do mean major. I must have been pretty silent company those last few minutes in Siberie, but I really didn’t feel well. There is not much I can do at this point but make it back to the hotel and lay down. Usually when this happens I have to relax for a bit, and it returns to normal. So, without uttering a word about my condition, I made it through the Siberie smoke and had to peacefully wave goodbye to all. Sad as it sounded, I had to run.

The longest trip you can take is back to your room when your stomach is killing you, but somehow I got a break. What luck!!! A number #4 as soon as I got to the Damrak stop... I could not have timed it any better. With my stomach noises, only muffled by the sound of the tram hurling down the tracks, we were at the Prinsengracht in just a few minutes. I was so thankful for the trams at that moment, I cannot even begin to express my gratitude.
Making it to the hotel around 9:00PM, and it really seemed like it should be later. I guess when you hit the ground running, a lot happens before you realize it??? I took a really quick shower, and stretched out in the big chair for a bit. With my feet propped on the other chair, my stomach felt better in just a minute or two. Then a couple of hits off the new bong, and I found myself getting dressed to head out on the town again.
It is a bit chilly outside, as I can tell by having the window open. A rather quiet Sunday night, and it really seems strange to have arrived on a Sunday. A lot of places were closed today, but as you know many were open as well. I didn't feel I missed out on much but the Cuyp Market, and the fish stand for a midday snack. Other than that Sunday may actually be the best day to arrive, as it gets you ready for the week ahead. Plus, you get to see the town awake from the remnants of a Saturday night party :-)
With eyes aglow, I await my Tram #4 to take me to town. I view everything, even looking out the tram window is an adventure to me. The people talking on the tram, and me trying to figure out what language they are speaking. Just a game of mine to see how many languages I can successfully identify on the tram rides. :) Through the years these trams have heard many words, in many languages. Well, not that many years for one of these new ones, but many languages nonetheless. What a tale the trams could tell, in lieu of our own words being summoned to do the deed.

To say Hello Again in Old Style:
Vinny is of fine spirits this evening and always remembers me at first glance. "How long this time?", to which I replied with my day count, but continued to tell him, this was a big pow-wow meeting, so it may go by faster than normal. "Ah, but it will be enjoyable, eh?" Vinny says with a smile... "Yes Indeed, it is always a pleasure to be in Amsterdam,,,, ALWAYS."
I gave him a music CD as I have on every trip since 1995. It is my way of leaving a piece of myself behind, to carry on. In some ways, it was my way of staying with them longer. The place was becoming a mere shadow of the place it used to be. Although, still one of my favorites, I feel in some ways a lot like Nogbin said "They ripped the heart and soul out of Old Style", as it just seems to be missing it's old mystique it rather heartily possessed.
It is still a place of unusual viewings, but for different reasons. Tourists by the handfuls come in, and the same reply "Go around the corner to Rokerij Coffeeshop, get your gear, and you can come back and smoke here."... That is an ongoing and very sad thing for them to say, I am sure. It is in the walls of memories, and the ceiling too, that carries the pieces of the past that we, as die hard ‘Old Stylers’, can't seem to let go of. True, we are all too happy to have the place open, and for the first time, I am actually getting to know their names. In ways a face was always good enough, even from me to them. However, as I am growing older, it is good to match a name to the faces I have come to love all these years.
I spent nearly an hour in there reminiscing through the years, through the times, through the mistakes. The mistakes???, yes, we all make them, even on holiday. The times when I sat across from some terrible company, that I brought with me, and shuttered to think, so to speak. Then, thinking of the times, more recent, having spent many happy times, with much good company, I also brought.
This actually is the landmark spot that D'Mac coined a phrase "DannyMac'ed". Also here I met Buck-O-Five for the first time, and took the Pirate’s sword, then his hook, then just took the whole Pirate. I even remember twice visiting this shop on 2 different crawl efforts. Like I said, though still here, somehow I miss them in the old spirit. It has marked an era in my life that shows me I am getting old,,, and fast.
Even as I headed back to the room for the final time this evening, I could not shake the memories loose. Something like, my life told through the pages of Old Style Memories. Without a doubt, this has been the longest first day of vacation in Amsterdam, that I have ever had. Not at all complaining, as the events were even more than I can remember, and that makes for some joyous reminiscing in years to come. :-) Already met 6 Channelites I never met before, as well as some of their friends and relatives... All in the first day :-)

Goodnight City of the Sirens Song, Calling my name when I am gone. Those tones I hear in my head, Voices of passion, and its here my heart be led.

Many Best Regards,
LastHamlet

Weldon
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Weldon » Fri May 06, 6:17 am

LH - Great read. You're a cannibis Kerouac. The part about your grandparents was very moving. Quite a way to set the scene for the story you tell. I share your feelings about Amsterdam and how it exudes a type of positive energy that transcends anything we find at home. I'm reminded of that every time I go.

Thank you for sharing.

Boner
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Boner » Fri May 06, 11:19 am

I think your report justifies why you won the trip report award, thankyou for the inspiration you gave me to start writing reports!

...Boner...

Otis
super power poster
super power poster
Location: Recovering from years of racing sailboats on SF Bay

Postby Otis » Fri May 06, 12:27 pm

I'm honored to have smoked so many fine "bats" with ya...and thanks for your reports, really dig em.

Otis

seouleast
super power poster
super power poster

Postby seouleast » Fri May 06, 12:29 pm

Goed shit. Like reading a book I can relate to. Now, only if my students keep getting in the way of me reading this!

Peace-
seouleast

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Fri May 06, 2:06 pm

Indeed the Master has been hard at work! Great job, and I'm looking forward to many more!

cmamste52
power poster
power poster

Postby cmamste52 » Fri May 06, 2:57 pm

Great report, once again! You should put them all in a book and publich your Amsterdam memoirs and reflections, I'd buy one for sure-thanks for sharing your memories with the community

sdshadow
super power poster
super power poster

Postby sdshadow » Fri May 06, 3:23 pm

Great report! One of the high-lights of my trip was seeing how thankful you were to smoke that honey maroc outside of CS. I think I could have handed you a bar of gold and it would not have made you any happier than that J.

Looking forward to the rest!

dannymac
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby dannymac » Fri May 06, 4:39 pm

Wow LH, that was one full 1st day! And as always, one great read too!

lctricity
super power poster
super power poster

Postby lctricity » Fri May 06, 4:48 pm

Thanks for takin' the time LH.

After reading this it just reinforces why I chose to throw my vote your way. You never cease to disappoint.

Rock On!

boesemani
just in
just in

Postby boesemani » Fri May 06, 4:55 pm

That was a lovely read Last Hamlet, I always enjoy your trip reports and this has to be one of the best so far.

Looking forward to the rest,

Boesemani

Damoften
power poster
power poster

Postby Damoften » Fri May 06, 9:27 pm

Excellent is the word, you should be an author. It was an honor to meet you LH. Hope to see you again sometime in Dam.

Regards
Damoften
Last edited by Damoften on Sat May 07, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

viking
super power poster
super power poster

Postby viking » Fri May 06, 9:47 pm

LastHamlet wrote:Wait, who appears to my front side but the legendary, and I do mean legendary, Viking.!!!
I had thought, maybe just a little older fellow, but Viking is fairly young, and seemed eager to be heading off to Amsterdam at that. Hey, he was not alone in his eagerness, as I too was really wanting to hop aboard and get this show on the road. It will be good to be back in the fair city I love, and as well many others love too. I am not jealous of AMS, I know many love her equally, and maybe greater for all I really know? Other than Viking scored a class seat, right beside the captain, the flight was uneventful. (You lucky Dog, Viking.) Actually, it couldn’t happen to a nicer fellow, plus Viking is a tall fellow. Still, I had to wake him up when I noticed the grand seat he had gotten. (I am not sure he liked me waking him, as he wanted to sleep the whole flight, so I went back to do the same.) Sorry Viking, didn’t mean to wake you, just got excited about you getting such a grand seat :-)

I am truly honored to finally "appear" in one of your legendary
trip reports, my friend. And what a fine report it is, too.
And of course you got my vote toward "Best Trip Reporting".

I celebrated my 44th birthday in the Dam last month and am pleased
to read you think I am still "fairly young". And a belated "Happy
Birthday!" to you, too! I forgot to wish you one last month.
At least I think I forgot, hehe.

Yes, I certainly lucked out big time seated next to the captain, huh?
But not in the cockpit:) A nice gate agent gave me a crew seat
in the little cabin between business and coach. Sure was sweet to
stretch out in a business class type seat, and the captain slept in the
seat next to me the entire flight, except for take-off and landing.

Man, I don't even remember you waking me up! I never can sleep
on airplanes, but got an Rx for Ambien this trip, popped a double dose,
and told the attendant to let me sleep until breakfast. Shortest flight
over I ever had:)

Arriving with you and being greeted by sdshadow and his brother at
CS made for the best first day I've ever had in 14 trips to Amsterdam!

Looking forward to reading more!

yardape
power poster
power poster

trip report

Postby yardape » Fri May 06, 10:18 pm

Thank you LH for your literary"tour de force".

It was a pleasure meeting you.

We all await your next installment on the LH plan.

MaxT
participating
participating

Postby MaxT » Sat May 07, 1:21 am

Great Read LH .I always look forward to your trip reports. It was great to meet you at the big party. I owe you for getting me and Mr Breeze in the road to central station in Harleem. Man I didn't even know which way to go . LOL
MaxT

a bollocks
mega power poster
mega power poster
Location: Not A'dam dam'it..... a traveler, a heart, no woot for you.

Postby a bollocks » Sat May 07, 5:56 am

dude I havent even read this.. I am sure it is cool and all..

...with all apologies to Tolstoy....

...please change the title to: "Weed & Peace".

lordy.. lotsa bandwidth. just protecting bas, you know.

you already won I thought.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Channelites are the GREATEST!!!

Postby LastHamlet » Sat May 07, 6:12 am

All of you are the reason any writing I do about Amsterdam, is worth anything at all. Without you, there is no reason to write. Before you and this forum, I never wrote a word about my adventures. I never had a place to write of such events. People always thought I was obsessed with just smoking pot if I mentioned where I travel to. They just never understood, whereas all of you Channelites do understand why we go. Why we dream of going, why we feel the way we do... So, it is I who need to Thank all of you, very very much!!!
Just look at all the wonderful post you all made on this thread. They outweigh the report itself, as it should be.
I still feel I have to earn that Award, and it is a good thing that this trip I used different eyes.
Many Many Thanks To All Of You,
LastHamlet

On another strange note: I was also turning 44 Viking, and actually it was the night of the Amnesia Party that OHD had invited everybody to. I didn't tell a soul, as not to overshadow his event, as it was a killer event without any added attractions. I would have guessed you were younger than me Viking!!!

seouleast
super power poster
super power poster

Postby seouleast » Sat May 07, 10:36 am

I would've guessed Vike was about 35 at the oldest. LH, you about 38.

Keep writing! I will live vicariously through your trip reports as I don't think that mine would do any justice!

Peace-
seouleast

DedBud
super power poster
super power poster

Postby DedBud » Sat May 07, 2:49 pm

I thought I was at least 60....or at least I felt that way trying to get up in the morning in Amsterdam.

drbones666
power poster
power poster

wow.... I understand

Postby drbones666 » Sat May 07, 3:28 pm

The greatest of reports LH. I hope by some miracle I run into someone off this board when I'm there in June. T'wd be wondrous.

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Sat May 07, 10:05 pm

I echo what Viking said, it was nice to be a part of your report as well as your 1st day there. I was very sorry to read about your grandparents, that had to make things very difficult. I knew your birthday was then, but I was so stoned that I forgot...what a surprise! It was a great pleasure finally meeting you LH, with all that was going on over there and my cold I didn't get to spend nearly enough time with you.

moe.

dobbs
power poster
power poster

Postby dobbs » Sun May 08, 8:01 am

Oh LastHamlet....I haven't posted here for a LOOOOONG time. Too busy doing boring stateside stuff to trip to A'dam, and all this Channel-reading makes me sad and envious. Less painful to just peek in every so often.

BUT, I must say you haven't lost your touch. If I can't go, I'm glad to have you do the tripping for me. I wholeheartedly agree that you should publish your Amsterdam memoirs. For real. You really are special!

dirtyfloyd
regular
regular

Postby dirtyfloyd » Sun May 08, 8:06 am

so are you telling me that the pirate is no longer outside the OldStyle?! I gotta duel going friday the 13th @ 15:30, spliffs @ 3 paces, pirate as witness damnitt. Loser plays the mule back to the states. Well listen, you know why the SGF is better than channels? Cause the background is deep purple man. My eyeballz are about to pop. Crossroads indeed.

Chiqui
power poster
power poster

Postby Chiqui » Sun May 08, 9:23 am

It was great to meet you, Moe and Bev our first day in Amsterdam. The food at Molly Malone's was very good, the company even better. You impressed me as one of those soft spoken southern gentlemen. Thank you LH, Moe and Bev for your wonderful company on the 17th!

I love stories of everlasting love like your grandparents. Thank you for sharing.

steek
super poster
super poster

Postby steek » Sun May 08, 9:15 pm

Another true masterpiece Lasthamlet! A fine read indeed. I look forward to more.

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

Ahhh, I'm Blushing.

Postby LastHamlet » Mon May 09, 4:57 am

You are all too kind.
38 Seoul??? you are way too kind.
Dobbs, it is so good to hear from you, a lot of us miss you greatly and hope all is well.
I really Thank all of you for your nice words and comments, and I really enjoy writing about Amsterdam, more than I miss being 8 years old :-)
Many Thanks, and Many Best Regards,
LH

LastHamlet
mega power poster
mega power poster

OOOOPS.

Postby LastHamlet » Mon May 09, 5:46 am

Sorry, almost forgot DirtyFloyd, the Pirate is gone from Old Style!!!
I am gonna miss that Pirate, but he was looking pretty bad, last I had a viewing of him.
Many Best Regards,
LH

hank
power poster
power poster

Postby hank » Tue May 10, 2:08 am

Hamlet, fabulous read. What a great style you have.

brandx

Postby brandx » Tue May 10, 3:26 am

X
Last edited by brandx on Wed Oct 03, 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Griffster
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Griffster » Tue May 10, 1:32 pm

A sad yet funny report,you should look in to writing books.well done.
I felt some of your pain in the words.truly reviting read

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”