Icelandair on strike.

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Icelandair on strike.

Postby MileHighDenver » Thu Dec 21, 4:48 pm

So they canceled my flight 24 hours before takeoff. 6 hours later I was emailed a new itinerary. They booked me on a United flight with a 35 minute layover at Dulles in DC leaving in 10 hours. What could go wrong? According to the UA app, I would de-board at gate C1 and only have to make gate C6 a few hundred yards down the corridor. When I walked out of the gate I saw D28. RUN. I was the last to board and made it to Amsterdam safely. All after a 5 hour drive over the mountains starting at 3:30AM.

Cali Guy
super poster
super poster

Re: Icelandair on strike.

Postby Cali Guy » Thu Dec 21, 5:19 pm

Did you immediately get yourself to a coffee shop to counteract your PTSD?

Great job by Icelandair booking an alternative flight BTW.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Thu Dec 21, 5:26 pm

Cali Guy wrote:Did you immediately get yourself to a coffee shop to counteract your PTSD?

Great job by Icelandair booking an alternative flight BTW.

No , but I sprung for a cab to take me to my loved one with bong ready. And yes to Icelandair’s quick work. I actually arrived 6 hours sooner.

Had a delicious breakfast at a new place called G’s in dePijp. Coincidentally, all of the menus were printed on Records . They had several variations of eggs Benedict and was really very good. Then off to Katsu for a morning of toking and talking.

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Thu Dec 21, 6:13 pm

MileHighDenver wrote:So they canceled my flight 24 hours before takeoff. 6 hours later I was emailed a new itinerary. They booked me on a United flight with a 35 minute layover at Dulles in DC leaving in 10 hours. What could go wrong? According to the UA app, I would de-board at gate C1 and only have to make gate C6 a few hundred yards down the corridor. When I walked out of the gate I saw D28. RUN. I was the last to board and made it to Amsterdam safely. All after a 5 hour drive over the mountains starting at 3:30AM.

Glad you made it!

:-)

kiwi_in_Oz
super power poster
super power poster

Postby kiwi_in_Oz » Thu Dec 21, 6:57 pm

MileHighDenver wrote:So they canceled my flight 24 hours before takeoff. 6 hours later I was emailed a new itinerary. They booked me on a United flight with a 35 minute layover at Dulles in DC leaving in 10 hours. What could go wrong? According to the UA app, I would de-board at gate C1 and only have to make gate C6 a few hundred yards down the corridor. When I walked out of the gate I saw D28. RUN. I was the last to board and made it to Amsterdam safely. All after a 5 hour drive over the mountains starting at 3:30AM.

Good to hear mate

bogart
super power poster
super power poster

Postby bogart » Thu Dec 21, 11:14 pm

I really liked Dulles airport, and United for that matter. When I got to Dulles it was small and cozy and had a great smoking room with a view. I had a great time smoking and talking to other travelers. When we were lined up to get on board the cozy air plane the terminal guy announced "Let's get this party started!!." It was a great bunch of people, and I ended up partying all the way to Amsterdam, because this kid showed up at the last minute before we departed. He had shown up with like fifteen minutes to spare at the airport and had lost his visa. He was going to Turkey with nothing but a backpack by the seat of his fuckin' pants. We had a couple bloody mary's each and they did not charge.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Sat Dec 30, 8:29 pm

I’ve just had the nicest time here. We went on a dinner lights cruise to see all the holiday lights from the canals as we ate and drank to excess. Amsterdam had a red LED light cord the entire route and many specialty displays along the route. There were lazars and 3D projecters and giant projections on the Nemo. It was really nice. We also ate at our favorite all you can eat Turkish buffet. We got a 100€ gift certificate to Spa Silva and will use that next week. Been hanging out at Katsu and they are throwing a little New Years party tomorrow night which we look forward to. In the past they’ve laid out a nice spread of food, champagne, and free joints for everyone. It starts around 6pm and ends early. Amsterdam is still a good place imo.

kiwi_in_Oz
super power poster
super power poster

Postby kiwi_in_Oz » Sat Dec 30, 10:16 pm

Sounds very good to me

See you in a few days and happy new year to all

Let’s hope the world has a much improved 2018

Peace and love to all even the trumpeters

Respect

Kiwi

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Sun Dec 31, 1:34 am

Sounds fantastic.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Sat Jan 06, 10:09 am

At Katsu. Nice on Saturday mornings. No crowds and a cookie with your coffee.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Sat Jan 06, 4:57 pm

04ºF on the Niagara Peninsula. I think that's about -15º C

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Wed Jan 10, 6:20 pm

I made every effort to meet up with KIO but Amsterdam swallowed him up as it often does.
Hope he’s ok.

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Thu Jan 11, 1:43 am

Oh no...

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”