Jamaica, Mon

A forum where you can read the great
adventures of the visitors to Amsterdam.

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Re: Jamaica, Mon

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Sun Oct 16, 4:14 am

Old Fart wrote:I work with 30 Jamaican Nationals who come to the USA every year on work visas for the summer. When they go back most of them work landscaping and in the service industry for tourists. I can assure you those dollars spent make it down to them. Especially tipped employees. Without it things would be much worse.

Good to hear

Lol
Vegetarians do not eat fish
Pescatarians do

Rudy
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Rudy » Mon Oct 17, 7:18 am

a bollocks wrote:
Rudy wrote:Negril, please.

Spent a year there one fortnight in 1984.

You remember.... we wrote "Okie-Okie-Okie-Okie Vote"! together. The first Dee-Jee reggae rap song ever heard in Okieland.

Yellowman, mon.

I understand that where we went the law is rinky dink.

Lazy stones
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Lazy stones » Mon Oct 17, 9:24 am

Was interesting watching a local friend eating Barracuda head!
Loved Juici Pattie tho! http://juicipatties.com/

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Tue Oct 18, 11:47 pm

Old Fart wrote:I work with 30 Jamaican Nationals who come to the USA every year on work visas for the summer. When they go back most of them work landscaping and in the service industry for tourists. I can assure you those dollars spent make it down to them. Especially tipped employees. Without it things would be much worse.

Thats one thing you can say for ye lads is ye tip well.

I'm a good tipper myself. Its funny who you tip when you think about it. I was talking to my dad about it the other day. Taxi Driver, Delivery Guy, Barber, Waiter.

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Tue Oct 18, 11:53 pm

worldcitizen1723 wrote:

Good to hear

Lol
Pescatarians do

Those bastards are just kidding themselves though. Are you telling me fish arent sentient beings? A cod, an eel, a shark, a dolphin?

Whats the difference in eating a cod to eating a chicken?

Hammer
super power poster
super power poster

Postby Hammer » Wed Oct 19, 1:04 am

[quote="Generous_j]

Those bastards are just kidding themselves though. Are you telling me fish arent sentient beings? A cod, an eel, a shark, a dolphin?

Whats the difference in eating a cod to eating a chicken?[/quote]

The feathers?

worldcitizen1723
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby worldcitizen1723 » Thu Oct 20, 7:56 pm

Generous_J wrote:
worldcitizen1723 wrote:

Good to hear

Lol
Pescatarians do

Whats the difference in eating a cod to eating a chicken?

?
a pecsatarian is a fish eater, they are not fooling themselves. People make dietary choices for numerous different reasons
and a huge benefit of including fish in a diet (for someone who does not eat other meats) is the healthy amount of iron in fish and seafood. Some really can not survive being a total vegetarian - even if they want to. Pescetarians have a lower risk of developing iron deficiency anemia — a common condition among vegans and vegetarians. Eating fish also combats D-3 deficiency, which is a common condition among many Americans.
Although imho with the radiation in the Pacific, I would think it is not the best choice.
( btw, i do not eat fish)

but i agree with you - not much difference eating a cod or a chicken...both are sentient beings. (lol - new research is proving that plants and trees are too)

Rudy
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Rudy » Thu Oct 20, 8:51 pm

I guess I must be some kind of a swine. I eat everything, even beets.

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Fri Oct 21, 5:36 pm

worldcitizen1723 wrote:Eating fish also combats D-3 deficiency, which is a common condition among many Americans.
Although imho with the radiation in the Pacific, I would think it is not the best choice.
( btw, i do not eat fish)

I think there's a vitamin D deficiency because our food and drug administration puts the RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance), at just 400 IU's per day and state that higher amounts can be toxic, which they can, if too much is consumed over a period of time. I have a doctor concerned with vitamin D levels, especially amongst her patients that take excessive amounts. I was consuming between seven and ten thousand IU's per day and when checked i was in the normal range. However, i'd switched my main vitamin D supplement, which contained three thousand IU's less than my other brand and when my D was checked recently i was too low. That being said i'd say it's likely most people are highly deficient in vitamin D and most of the other vitamins unless supplements are being taken daily.

Used to consume a lot of fish, but now less than occasionalIy and only then small amounts. I now have a gluten intolerance and there are many foods i shouldn't eat, so seafood should've been easier to put on that list, only there are too many delicious variations to count!

chichi123
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby chichi123 » Fri Oct 21, 6:54 pm

Heck I eat every and anything except beets. They taste like dirt but are so pretty. Yesterday at the grocery the woman in front of me was gluten free. I studied her cart and was amazed how expensive it all looked along with organic.

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Sat Feb 25, 6:10 am

Well I can't go for 4 years, but I got a job in Jamaica for at least a few months. It could pan out to be much longer. I've found a new built 5 bed 5 bath home with pool to rent on an acre of land. It overlooks the Caribbean from horizon to horizon. No TV but there is Internet. I leave a week from Tuesday. Pretty excited.

Generous_J
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Generous_J » Sun Feb 26, 4:59 am

MileHighDenver wrote:Well I can't go for 4 years, but I got a job in Jamaica for at least a few months. It could pan out to be much longer. I've found a new built 5 bed 5 bath home with pool to rent on an acre of land. It overlooks the Caribbean from horizon to horizon. No TV but there is Internet. I leave a week from Tuesday. Pretty excited.

This is a little confused. You leave a week on Tuesday but you can't go for four years? Do you mean to say this is a reconaisance mission?

Why do you need 5 bedrooms?

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Sun Feb 26, 5:19 am

Generous_J wrote:
MileHighDenver wrote:Why do you need 5 bedrooms?

concubines?

MileHighDenver
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby MileHighDenver » Sun Feb 26, 5:35 pm

Generous_J wrote:
MileHighDenver wrote:Well I can't go for 4 years, but I got a job in Jamaica for at least a few months. It could pan out to be much longer. I've found a new built 5 bed 5 bath home with pool to rent on an acre of land. It overlooks the Caribbean from horizon to horizon. No TV but there is Internet. I leave a week from Tuesday. Pretty excited.

This is a little confused. You leave a week on Tuesday but you can't go for four years? Do you mean to say this is a reconaisance mission?

Why do you need 5 bedrooms?

It was the best deal. Just returned from the reconnaissance mission. Job could last for years but I need to know it could be the place for me before committing to longer.

Return to “Channelites Trip Reports”