Some local news

all about amsterdam
bogart
super power poster
super power poster

Re: Some local news

Postby bogart » Fri May 13, 5:25 am

alpha wrote:The list of lists for all things Dutch.
thanks a million for sharing. I always thought the
Smurf song was danish. I have a lot of reading to do.

Old Fart
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Old Fart » Sat May 14, 8:11 pm

Dazzler
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Dazzler » Tue Jun 28, 7:10 am

"Hello, I'm A'dam".

Oh dear.

smokedpeppers
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby smokedpeppers » Sat Dec 03, 3:41 am

todays telegraph.uk, travel, did a read on the ‘Disneyfication’ of amsterdam . locals say the city has become ‘unlivable’ . sightseeing coaches, beer bikes and related knock off tourist traps, time is numbered . so says city hall .
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... yfication/

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Sat Dec 03, 5:14 pm

smokedpeppers wrote:todays telegraph.uk, travel, did a read on the ‘Disneyfication’ of amsterdam . locals say the city has become ‘unlivable’ . sightseeing coaches, beer bikes and related knock off tourist traps, time is numbered . so says city hall .

Have you ever been to 'The Parrot' church, UKBL?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... dam-guide/

See the 'What to do' section of the link!

Worth a visit, or not?

Peace, Des.

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Sun Dec 04, 10:43 pm

des wrote:
smokedpeppers wrote:todays telegraph.uk, travel, did a read on the ‘Disneyfication’ of amsterdam . locals say the city has become ‘unlivable’ . sightseeing coaches, beer bikes and related knock off tourist traps, time is numbered . so says city hall .

Worth a visit, or not?

Peace, Des.

The Papegaai? Yes, many times.

Well it's on Kalverstraat, just opposite the Blokker store so it's not out of your way.

It's not the most beautiful CHURCH in the city but it is interesting. There's a small but lovely choir on Sundays. And a sort of turnstile door entrance!

It's always one of my first ports of call when I arrive, just to say thanks for a safe journey.

:-)

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Mon Dec 05, 12:04 pm

uk*bag*lady wrote:
des wrote:

Worth a visit, or not?

Peace, Des.

Well it's on Kalverstraat, just opposite the Blokker store so it's not out of your way.

It's not the most beautiful CHURCH in the city but it is interesting. There's a small but lovely choir on Sundays. And a sort of turnstile door entrance!

It's always one of my first ports of call when I arrive, just to say thanks for a safe journey.

Thanks, Sue! ... I'm thinking of going over at Easter! It would be nice to attend a service somewhere special!

Peace, Des.

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Mon Dec 05, 1:17 pm

des wrote:
uk*bag*lady wrote:
des wrote:

Worth a visit, or not?

Peace, Des.

Thanks, Sue! ... I'm thinking of going over at Easter! It would be nice to attend a service somewhere special!

Peace, Des.

You're a Catholic then Des? I never knew that!

I usually go to Mass at the Begijnhof Chapel or at the Kritberg on Singel ~ a beautiful Church!

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Mon Dec 05, 1:56 pm

uk*bag*lady wrote:
des wrote:
uk*bag*lady wrote:
des wrote:

Worth a visit, or not?

Peace, Des.

Peace, Des.

You're a Catholic then Des? I never knew that!

I usually go to Mass at the Begijnhof Chapel or at the Kritberg on Singel ~ a beautiful Church!

I thought you knew, Sue! I've mentioned it loads of times in discussions with those other good Catholic Boys, Beer, Dano and NY,NY!

Well, not so much Dano! ... He turned out to be a bit of a dick!

We set off to attend Mass at the Begijnhof Church one Sunday on a previous visit, but made the mistake of calling in at the Rusland coffeeshop on the way there, and caned several big fat joints laced with Nepalese Temple Ball!

As the song goes ... 'We got stoned and we missed it!'

Peace, Des.

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Mon Dec 05, 2:04 pm

Yes, I like the Begijnhof as the Mass in in English - I went to Mass at the BLESSED TRINITY last time I was there but any of the three RC churches in the centrum are nice places to be, especially at Easter.

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Mon Dec 05, 9:45 pm

uk*bag*lady wrote:Yes, I like the Begijnhof as the Mass in in English - I went to Mass at the BLESSED TRINITY last time I was there but any of the three RC churches in the centrum are nice places to be, especially at Easter.

I've visited some interesting places of worship over the years! I take it you've been to 'The Church of Our Lord in the Attic?'

What about the Oude Kerk to see the risque carvings on the misericords?

Ever been inside the Buddhist Temple on Zeedijk? I always call in if we're passing to light an incense stick or two and pick up some of the little scrolls containing words of wisdom written by the monks!

Peace, Des.

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Mon Dec 05, 10:41 pm

des wrote:
uk*bag*lady wrote:Yes, I like the Begijnhof as the Mass in in English - I went to Mass at the BLESSED TRINITY last time I was there but any of the three RC churches in the centrum are nice places to be, especially at Easter.

I've visited some interesting places of worship over the years! I take it you've been to 'The Church of Our Lord in the Attic?'

What about the Oude Kerk to see the risque carvings on the misericords?

Ever been inside the Buddhist Temple on Zeedijk? I always call in if we're passing to light an incense stick or two and pick up some of the little scrolls containing words of wisdom written by the monks!

Peace, Des.

Yes, I've been more than once to the Amstelkring. An amazing place.

And though I have been in the Oude Kerk (but the Niuewe Kerk for some reason!) I don't remember seeing those carvings. Last time I went there was an art exhibition on.

I do remember going into the Basilica of St. Nicholas once and thinking I was in the middle of Mass. It was only when these three ladies stood and gave 'speeches' that I realised I'd actually stumbled into a funeral service. You couldn't see the coffin from where I was at the back. So I had to wait until the Church emptied before making my retreat!

I've never been inside the Zeedijk Temple - I think I'd be a little unsure about how to conduct myself there.

I also remember being told by Raoul ( anemployee at the Brouwer) that I could go to Mass at the Dominicus Kerk on Spuistraat. And it was only when I went up to receive Communion that the penny dropped ~ this was NOT Mass and NOT a Catholic Church! It was a sort of Ecumenical service.

Strange : I've been in so few coffee shops in the Dam yet seem to know all the Churches!

Sue

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Mon Dec 05, 10:50 pm

Des: This is quite a useful and comprehensive list of KERKEN in the city!

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Tue Dec 06, 3:00 am

uk*bag*lady wrote:I also remember being told by Raoul ( anemployee at the Brouwer) that I could go to Mass at the Dominicus Kerk on Spuistraat. And it was only when I went up to receive Communion that the penny dropped ~ this was NOT Mass and NOT a Catholic Church! It was a sort of Ecumenical service.

No biggie, Sue! ... We used to serve on the altar Sunday mornings then leg it round to St Mark's Methodist church to catch midday mass!

The tight bastard vicar wouldn't let you in his youth club on a Friday night if you didn't attend one of his Sunday services!

Peace, Des.

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Tue Dec 06, 6:16 pm

des wrote:
uk*bag*lady wrote:I also remember being told by Raoul ( anemployee at the Brouwer) that I could go to Mass at the Dominicus Kerk on Spuistraat. And it was only when I went up to receive Communion that the penny dropped ~ this was NOT Mass and NOT a Catholic Church! It was a sort of Ecumenical service.

No biggie, Sue! ... We used to serve on the altar Sunday mornings then leg it round to St Mark's Methodist church to catch midday mass!

The tight bastard vicar wouldn't let you in his youth club on a Friday night if you didn't attend one of his Sunday services!

Peace, Des.

I was an alter boy for a few years too.

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Tue Dec 06, 7:18 pm

moe. wrote:
des wrote:

Peace, Des.

Yep... actually served Mass in Latin...

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Tue Dec 06, 10:17 pm

Banks wrote:
moe. wrote:
des wrote:

Peace, Des.

Yep... actually served Mass in Latin...

Yeah! ... I remember the old Latin Mass! They always did the early morning service in Latin to please the Old Schoolers!

I was an altar boy for about 7 years! (9-16)

The money we got from serving weddings and christenings far outstripped the spending money we received!

I wouldn't have been able to support a smoking habit if it wasn't for the Church!

Peace, Des.

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Tue Dec 06, 11:00 pm

I wasn't an alter boy.

They didn't seem to have alter girls when I was young though there are as many girls as boys on the alter at my Parish Church these days.

And we have Mass in the Extraordinary form once each week.

Whilst I enjoy the Latin for a sort of 'old times sake' reason I do actually prefer the Mass as it is now.

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Wed Dec 07, 12:31 am

I was an altar boy for a couple of years...I was only in it for the wine...loved that Sunday morning buzz.

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Wed Dec 07, 12:33 am

Dominus vobiscum... I still don't know what it means...

alpha
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby alpha » Wed Dec 07, 1:18 am

Banks wrote:Dominus vobiscum... I still don't know what it means...

Google translate sez 'lord be with you'. Lordy.

uk*bag*lady
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby uk*bag*lady » Wed Dec 07, 7:41 am

Et spiritum sanctum.

For anyone whose Latin is a little rusty THIS might be interesting / useful!

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Wed Dec 07, 10:23 am

Bohannon wrote:I was an altar boy for a couple of years...I was only in it for the wine...loved that Sunday morning buzz.

You too, eh? I was an altar boy when the plebs didn't get a sup of wine! ... We had to nick a quick swig out of one of the bottles when we were putting the serving plates and chalices away after Mass! I've never had the balls to admit that one in confession! ... I'm probably going to burn in Hell!

Peace, Des.

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Wed Dec 07, 11:27 am

des wrote:
Bohannon wrote:I was an altar boy for a couple of years...I was only in it for the wine...loved that Sunday morning buzz.

You too, eh? I was an altar boy when the plebs didn't get a sup of wine! ... We had to nick a quick swig out of one of the bottles when we were putting the serving plates and chalices away after Mass! I've never had the balls to admit that one in confession! ... I'm probably going to burn in Hell!

Peace, Des.

Large bag of fresh "hosts" was a tasty treat... especially the big ones the priests got... but if they got stuck to the roof of your mouth they were impossible to get off!

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Wed Dec 07, 12:51 pm

Banks wrote:
des wrote:

Peace, Des.

Large bag of fresh "hosts" was a tasty treat... especially the big ones the priests got... but if they got stuck to the roof of your mouth they were impossible to get off!

You're definitely fucked!

You'll be toasting on the end of Beelzebub's pitchfork for all eternity!

Peace, Des.

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Wed Dec 07, 4:26 pm

des wrote:
Banks wrote:
des wrote:

Peace, Des.

You're definitely fucked!

You'll be toasting on the end of Beelzebub's pitchfork for all eternity!

Peace, Des.

Most likely... bring a Channels sign so I recognize you!

Bohannon
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Bohannon » Wed Dec 07, 4:57 pm

I took three years of Latin in high school...surprisingly helpful in many ways. I still remember the lord's prayer in Latin.

Banks
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby Banks » Wed Dec 07, 7:42 pm

Bohannon wrote:I took three years of Latin in high school...surprisingly helpful in many ways. I still remember the lord's prayer in Latin.

I predict you'll be right there with Des and I...

moe.
super power poster
super power poster

Postby moe. » Wed Dec 07, 11:38 pm

I always thought it was Italian. Dominic, go frisk 'em!

des
mega power poster
mega power poster

Postby des » Thu Dec 08, 5:36 am

Banks wrote:
Bohannon wrote:I took three years of Latin in high school...surprisingly helpful in many ways. I still remember the lord's prayer in Latin.

I predict you'll be right there with Des and I...

What about you, Sue? ... Will you be joining us?

Peace, Des.

Return to “Amsterdam forum”